Responsible to lead and manage all day-to-day underwriting activities for assigned portfolios to deliver timely adjudications for new customer credit lines, increase in credit lines for existing customers, and ongoing reviews. The incumbent will be a hands-on experienced underwriting professional with strong skill to lead and motivate credit analysts.
Supervise underwriting staff responsible for conducting credit investigations and reviews. Serve as a coach to analysts, develop their goals, provide ongoing feedback, and identify talent for growth.
- Manage and supervise underwriting analysts to deliver timely decisions on new and increase in credit line requests. Work closely with Portfolio Managers and Sales Personnel to coordinate procurement of information needed for decisioning or re-arranging priorities to deliver on customer expectations.
- Prepare credit write-ups for all underwriting requests in the assigned portfolio, including review and analysis of new applications and credit line increases on existing transactions, financial statement analysis including balance sheet, income statement, cash flow and ratio analysis.
- Review and approve transactions within credit authority and make recommendations on those outside of credit authority. Responsible for quality of write-ups within and outside of credit authority
- Ensure adherence to Credit Policy and procedures, work with other departments to improve understanding and compliance and work closely with internal and external assurance functions to understand and ensure regulatory and policy compliance including Customer Identification Procedures under Bank Secrecy Act (BSA), as well as Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA) requirements.
- Engage as a subject matter expert (SME) on all activities that are required for a strong and compliant underwriting department; activities include but are not limited to:
- improve technical underwriting skills, brevity in presentation of credit submissions, and risk rating accuracy
- drive consistency in credit write-ups
- calls and visits to customers as required
- deploy effective credit process metrics to drive low error rates
- annual reviews are accurate and timely
- review term sheets and assist underwriting personnel in screening credit opportunities to ensure they meet HDF standards and strategies.
- ongoing monitoring/ development of effective analytical tools
- review and analyze business projections, principals, personal financial condition/credit bureau reports, security and legal documents, payment performance, etc.
- Partner with Portfolio Managers, Onboarding Managers, and Sales to periodically review quality of deals and type of information needed for adjudication with the goals of (a) maintaining a balance between customer expectations and HDF risk appetite, and (b) drive process efficiency. Conduct periodic training to drive effectiveness and efficiency.
- Conduct periodic productivity reviews of underwriting personnel; identify opportunities for improvements including training of personnel as required. Review and recommend changes in credit authority of analysts as needed.
- Manage and lead technical training for staff in collaboration with other Underwriting Managers for specific training in underwriting, credit analysis, structuring, presentation, coaching, and performance management.
- Research and stay informed on industry trends and risks
- Travel to manufacturer trade shows or dealer visits as needed.
- Special projects as assigned by the Director of Underwriting including credit reporting changes, due diligence trips, etc.
- Required: Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting field or equivalent work experience.
- Preferred: MBA or Master’s
- 8+ years credit underwriting experience and prior credit authority.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and motivating underwriting personnel.
- Detail oriented with the ability to analyze cash flow, leverage, collateral, and customer strength.
- Excellent quantitative analysis skills
- Solid written/verbal communication, presentation, and negotiation skills
- Ability to make sound business judgements while protecting HDF interests.
- Experience with analytics and credit scoring.
- Good technical skills, including experience with Salesforce, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Solid experience with secured lending including Security Documentation; UCC’s, Security and Priority Agreements, etc.
Exempt Status: (Yes = not eligible for overtime pay) (No = eligible for overtime pay)
HybridHuntington is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity and expression, genetic information, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law.
Tobacco-Free Hiring Practice: Visit Huntington's Career Web Site for more details.
Agency Statement: Huntington does not accept solicitation from Third Party Recruiters for any position.