As a Manager, UAS Flight Operations, you will manage an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) flight operations department. Establish operating procedures and policies to include standard flight operations and ground operations policies and safety policies. Ensure compliance with DCMA and FAA requirements in addition to company procedures. Primary UAV flight operations liaison to US and foreign militaries, Department of Defense, and other government agencies.
This position supports the Advanced Systems & Technologies (AS&T) division, which specializes in developing disruptive, next-generation technologies for advanced Unmanned Air Systems (UAS / UAV), advanced radar systems, next-generation weapon systems, and other RF sensor technologies using small company agility and big company experience.
- Manage a team of UAV pilots and contractors in CONUS and OCONUS operations
- Recruit and staff the flight operations team, including Mission Commanders (MCs), Air Vehicle Operators (AVOs), Payload Operators (PLOs) and Maintenance Technicians
- Responsible for career development of flight operations department personnel
- Establish UAS flight operating procedures and policies
- Establish and maintain training and proficiency of flight operations and maintenance staff
- Coordinate and approve test cards for UAV flight testing and demos
- Coordinate and request FAA restricted airspace as necessary
- Interact with customers, technical and production staff
- Provide staff/support of factory acceptance test flights of new aircraft
- Make recommendations for product quality and reliability
- Identify and pursue business development opportunities
- Reviews schedules and budgets with program managers
- Approves project expenses related to execution of flight operations functions
- Influence the overall objectives and long-range goals of the business division
- Acts as a Principal investigator on Accident/Incident Review Committees
- Other duties as assigned
- U.S. citizen
- Existing DoD clearance with a current 5-year update; must be able to obtain additional clearances as required
- B.S. in related Professional Aviation, Engineering discipline or Management
- Minimum 9 years prior related experience with minimum 6 years of experience in Tier 2,3 or 4 UAV flight operations
- FAA Commercial and Instrument Pilot Certifications
- DCMA Government Flight Representative course completion required
- UAV flying and technical experience required, instructor highly desired.
- Mission Commander (MC) and Air Vehicle Operator (AVO) certifications with Piccolo autopilot
- OCONUS UAV deployment experience years of exp
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products
- Must be able to qualify for an FAA Class I or II Airman's Medical
- Extensive, extended, continuous travel, including international travel, required.
- Overtime/weekend work may be required.
- US passport required.
- Excellent leadership, people management, communication and influencing skills at a senior level
- Ability to manage and influence key stakeholders.
- Excellent verbal, written, presentation, interpersonal and negotiation skills are required for effective interface with all contacts at all levels within and outside the organization.
- Excellent people skills, with experience leading and collaborating in a multi-disciplinary, diverse, and dynamic team environment.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Outstanding work ethic and commitment to organizational success.
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Experience and knowledge in OSHA and DCMA procedures and safety requirements.
- 2 years personnel training, evaluating and supervisory experience
- 2 years UAV testing experience
- UAV External Pilot qualifications