The Manager, Training and Development is responsible for planning and implementation of technical, product and business process training delivery to field and in-house personnel. This role reports to the Commercial Learning Services senior manager. You will be accountable for the transfer of product, scientific, technical and business process knowledge from Product Support, R&D, Sustaining Engineering, System Support Engineering, and Technical Support to Training staff in a timely manner. Identifies training needs for Illumina global Support employees and Customers and defines training deliverables with inputs from Regional Training Managers, SMEs and Instructional Designers. Maintains a view of global training operations. Leads course development strategy and requirements. Communicates training program offerings to Illumina employee and customer community on a regular basis. Conducts regular training equipment planning and with Lab Management staff, is responsible for keeping training labs/classrooms up to date. Pursues continuous education on industry, training best practices, and management skills.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
Manage Global Training Course Content and Instructor Quality
- Defines prerequisites and requirements for Illumina Instructor-led Training courses for Illumina field technical personnel. Maintains schedule of course development and maintenance that meets demands with appropriate regional and global inputs.
- Analyzes employee and Customer training needs and defines required courses, course modality, expected course life, and number of trainees.
- Monitors instructor and course performance. Maintains quantitative data on student evaluations on each instructor and for each course. Performs Level 1-3 evaluations on classes on a random audit basis as needed.
- Communicates localization and customization needs of course materials to the Director of Commercial Training to ensure global consistency with local applicability. Champions a unified approach to training and competency of employees and partners.
- Conducts regular in-person evaluations of each instructor to ensure facilitation effectiveness metrics are met. Conducts regular internal/external customer surveys of department, course, process and instructor effectiveness.
Maintain Training Facilities
- Forecasts and tracks training equipment and consumables needs.
- Manages Training facility quality by ensuring classrooms are in “customer ready” order with appropriate Lab personnel.
Manage Training Resources
- Acts as clearinghouse for non-technical courseware from outside sources (Customer Service skills, Quality, and others) as needed
- Utilizes internal and external training resources (if needed) to meet training needs.
- Evaluates potential vendors and certifies instructor candidates.
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional task and responsibilities.
Preferred Educational Background:
- MS Biotechnology or related science with 8 years of professional working experience.
Preferred Experiential Background:
- 3+ years management or equivalent experience in a Training or related field preferred.
- Direct teaching or training experience is helpful.
- General understanding of biotechnology and industry experience a plus.
- Computer experience required.
- Proficiency in standard Office applications (word processing, spreadsheet, email, presentation software).
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Direct reports: Global Training and Development Scientist/Engineers
- Talent Acquisition activities include identifying needs of the department, justification for budget to fill positions, coordinating with HR to market the position, review resumes, conduct interviews and identify and recommend a candidate as the potential hire, and employee orientation to the department and company.
- Talent Development activities include creating and executing development plans with employees to ensure they have the necessary expertise to successfully perform their jobs, provide ongoing guidance to employees, and career counseling to help employees develop and advance in their careers
- Performance Management activities include setting performance standards, ensuring employees have appropriate and realistic job goals, providing ongoing feedback about employees’ performance, conducting performance appraisals, including assessing how the employees have performed and how they can improve their performance, developing performance improvement plans if employees’ performance is not adequate and providing rewards for employee accomplishments.
- Ensure employees follow all applicable company policies and procedures