Leads engine build planning, build execution, and validation testing activities. Coordinates across multiple engine programs and multiple development groups. Supports Outboard, Sterndrive and Inboard engine products as well as user interface componentry. Works with engine test counterparts and program leads to achieve validation consistent with major program milestones. Oversees the workflow of 3-5 engineers and 20+ technicians.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide tactical and strategic leadership of the Test Planning, Engineering Lab, and ITC groups within Engineering Test and Development (ETD).
- Deliver functional support to cross-functional product development teams following High Performance Product Development (HPPD) principles.
- Manage engine development activities across multiple engine programs from the planning stages through build and test validation.
- Lead troubleshooting activities for issues encountered during engine build and test.
- Develop and execute training plans to maintain and improve the technical capabilities of the group.
- Assist the ETD organization with developing and improving test and design standards.
- Provide administrative management of the Test Planning, Engineering Lab, and ITC groups. This includes staffing, individual and team capability development, and performance management.
- Manage manpower of the group according to project plans including technical and project timing input.
Knowledge, Skill and Ability Requirements:
- Deep understanding of all aspects of combustion engines and their development processes
- Understanding of drive trains and associated systems and their development
- Proven leadership and management skills
- Works effectively within a cross-functional team environment
- Continuous improvement mindset to document project learnings and apply to future engine programs
- Verbal and written skills necessary to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization
- Organizational skills necessary to successfully manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to reason through problems and suggest workable solutions
- Skill to independently make accurate decisions and analyze risk
- Talent to motivate staff and deal effectively with performance problems
Experience - Minimum:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering (or similar degree)
- 7-9 years in the engine industry
- 2 years of leadership experience
Experience - Preferred:
- Master’s degree in Mechanical engineering (or similar degree)
- 9+ years in the engine industry
- 2+ years of leadership experience