Summary: Energy Transfer (ET) is currently seeking a Manager for our Motor Fuels Excise Tax group. Our Excise Tax Manager role will serve as an integral member of the tax team and as a subject matter expert in the indirect tax landscape. This position will be responsible for leading a team to identify, develop, and implement best practices involving innovation and automation across the ET excise tax compliance process. It will also provide tax service and support for master data tax setup, customer/vendor inquires, and tax research. Our unique environment allows the incumbent to create value in many ways, collaborate with other team members, and find many opportunities to embark on a fulfilling career.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for configuring and maintaining tax master data tables within SAP, Right Angle, PDI, or other ERP systems;
- Support internal and external customers regarding tax issue resolution;
- Responsible for interpreting federal, state, and local excise and motor fuel tax laws and applying them to minimize the company's tax liabilities;
- Responsible for ensuring that the company is registered for federal, state, and local excise/motor fuel tax in the appropriate jurisdictions;
- Responsible for ensuring the company is in compliance with all federal, state, and local authorities through communicating changes in taxes for proper adjustment to ERP system, reviewing ongoing developments in tax laws;
- Maintains technical knowledge of current motor fuel tax laws and keep abreast of ongoing developments;
- Work with outside consultants, as necessary, to ensure that federal, state, and local excise and motor fuel tax exposures are reduced and refunds are applied for in a timely manner;
- Responsible for overseeing the timely filing and payments of federal, state, and local excise and motor fuel tax returns;
- Review wires and check requests for payment of taxes and to ensure correct coding to the general ledger accounts;
- Coordinate with project managers, business developers and other areas of the company to identify and/or quantify the impact of federal, state, and local excise and motor fuel taxes on proposed transactions and projects;
- Verify and maintain all necessary SOX documentation related to federal, state, and local excise and motor fuel tax processes;
- Assists during examinations by federal or state auditors;
- Assist with software implementations;
- Conduct or participate in cross training with other team members;
- Monitors account activity for changes in rates, purchases, accruals, etc., and uses reason to provide written explanations of variances;
- Use discretion to scrutinize accounting records for unusual/extraordinary transactions, investigate findings and provide resolution;
- Research tax issues and work on special projects as needed;
- Assist with the hiring, training and overall maintenance of sufficient and appropriate staff to ensure that the above mentioned tasks are properly and timely performed
- Responsible for managing personnel including training, developing, and providing over site to employees in accordance with the company and department's processes and procedures.
Education and/or Experience, Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. The requirements for this position are listed below:
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or related degree required
- 8+ years of experience in federal & multi-state excise and motor fuel tax matters, preferably in the same or similar industry required
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are required because of interactions both inside and outside of the tax department required
- Previous experience supervising employees and tax processes required;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office is required
- Excellent tax research skills using various tax services and sources such as CCH, RIA, BNA, etc required
- Proficiency in analyzing and reconciling accounts and preparing journal entries required
- Master's degree preferred
- CPA or CMI candidate preferred
- Knowledge of a tax software solution (like Avalara/Zytax or IGEN) is preferred
- Knowledge of SAP, Right Angle, PDI, or other ERP systems preferred.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Usually, normal office working conditions.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 50% of the time due to prolonged periods of sitting or standing.
- Occasional overnight travel may be required.
- Occasional visits to industrial/manufacturing settings, which may include exposure to various materials and chemicals, as well as extreme temperature conditions and loud machinery, and require appropriate personal protective equipment.