Manage and direct the day to day activities of the System Engineering Group, make individual work assignments, monitor individual performance and provide technical direction to individuals in the Group and to program teams. Perform difficult work on highly technical or involved projects. Review and approve formal documentation for release. Estimate labor, capacity, tools, equipment and other resources to operate and adhere to budget and schedule commitments.
DUTIES OR RESPONSIBILITIES (LIST IN ORDER OF IMPORTANCE):
- Develop plans, analyze results, and communicate to management on all areas of finance including, but not limited to: Manage and direct the day to day activities of the Systems Engineering Group including individual work assignments.
- Monitor individual performance and prepare formal Performance Appraisals. Assess and manage employee development, coaching and training needs
- Lead site efforts to improve systems engineering design practices and processes.
- Be capable of executing all the duties of a senior Systems Engineer.
- Review and approve formal documentation for release in accordance with internal and/or customer standards.
- Provide technical direction and oversight to individuals in the Group and to program teams, insuring high standards of technical competence and achievement.
- Lead site Internal Research and Development program
- Develop and maintain the Systems Engineering design, validation and qualification processes for all assigned programs
- Manage Test Engineering and maintenance of the engineering test facilities
- Estimate labor, capacity and other resources as required to operate and adherence to budget and schedule commitments.
- Define capital, tools, equipment and other resources required by the Systems Engineering Group
- Prepare and deliver technical presentations to management and customers
- Insure quality through group adherence to the Quality Systems Manual and Standard Work Instructions and other internally or contractually invoked standards.
- Keep current with systems engineering discipline trends and new technologies that may be relevant to present and future product development Lead bid and proposal process for major and minor bids
- Provide systems technical support to other areas of the organization as required (PM, Operations, BD, etc.)
- Develop, set targets to improve and maintain the systems engineering design practices, processes, configuration, standards and metrics.
- Act as focal point for all Engineering manpower planning activities - resource load to meet project demand
- Provide leadership and guidance to support to ensure departmental functional goals align with company strategic goals and commitment to continuous improvements. Drive the team to meet all goals, targets and commitments to the organization.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
BACKGROUND: (EDUCATION, PRIOR WORK EXPERIENCE)
- Minimum Education Required: Bachelor of Science in engineering or science; Master's Degree in Systems Engineering preferred.
- Minimum Experience Required: 7+ years
- Successful candidates must meet eligibility requirements to access US classified information
- Skills Required:
- Program/Project Management: Ability to coordinate and administer programs, activities and protocols. Ability to manage resources, monitor activities and assess environmental risk, safety, and quality control associated with the program
- Professional Knowledge: Advanced level of technical engineering skill/knowledge and the ability to keep up with current developments and trends in areas of expertise
- Technical Leadership: Demonstrated skills and abilities needed to coordinate, facilitate, and participate in a collaborative approach to the completion of tasks or assignments. Proven experience leading research and development efforts.
- Proven capability to solve technical problems while meeting the need of the customer
- Experience working in a matrix environment; getting things done through others
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Works well with management, peers and subordinates
- Environment/Equipment Used :
- Works in a typical office environment with exposure to light manufacturing area and laboratory environment
- Occasional domestic and international travel environments 10%
- Software used: Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, Outlook E-mail
- The use of safety equipment (PPE) is required in designated areas