Manager Supplier Quality Corporate Metallurgy
- Responsible for managing Supplier Quality for Metal Forming business unit.
- Supplier Development from a technical and quality perspective to ensure compliance with AAM’s Quality Systems and product performance expectations. Includes raw material suppliers (Steel) and parts and assembly suppliers.
- On-site Quality Audits and Supplier Assessments.
- Assures supplier adherence to APQP procedure.
- PPAP initiation, guidance & review as required.
- Provides technical assistance at all suppliers including Heat Treaters (Carburize, Q&T, Induction Hardening, Annealing, Normalizing, etc.) and SBQ Steel Mills, to resolve quality issues.
- Coordinate problem Resolution and Corrective Action Processes.
- Assist in negotiation of claim settlements.
- Technically Audit SBQ Steel Mills for their approval as steel sources to AAM.
- Design, Write, Review and/or Approve AAM Material Specifications for SBQ steel in accordance with the requirements of the engineered component being manufactured.
- Technically Audit OSP and Part suppliers for approval to be a source to AAM.
- Technically Audit Steel Processing Facilities, understanding processes used to meet AAM standards for:
- Surface Inspection (Circoflux, Magnetic Flux Leakage, Eddy Current)
- Internal Inspection (UT – Phased Array and Traditional)
- Analyzing, Reviewing and determining part failures in accordance with steel defects, heat treat anomalies. This would include fracture and failure analysis.
- Use technical expertise to analyze and critique internal and external processes to recommend improvement, to resolve a problem, and/or confirm acceptance of current process.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Metallurgical Engineering
- 7 years minimum experience working in metallurgical engineering positions at a Special Bar Quality Steel Mill and/or metal forging company.
- High level of analytical ability to resolve complex issues.
- Able to effectively lead root cause analysis and continuous improvement efforts.
- High level of interpersonal skills and abilities to organize and conduct effective cross-functional team meetings.
- Working knowledge and application of quality standards (ISO 9001, ISO14001, TS19649, IATF16949).
- Proficient knowledge of AIAG Core Tools (APQP, PPAP, PFMEA, CQIx, etc.)
- Knowledge of the Plex and Oracle business systems is a plus.
- Proficient computer skills (Word, Excel, Power Point, etc.)
- Well-developed oral and written communications skills required.
- Able to work effectively in a team environment.
- US and international travel, as required (est. 20%).
About American Axle & Manufacturing
For over 20 years, customers around the world have entrusted AAM to design, engineer, validate and manufacture driveline, metal forming, powertrain, and casting technologies for automotive, commercial and industrial markets. Today, we are a premier global Tier 1 automotive supplier with broad capabilities across multiple product lines to deliver efficient, powerful and innovative solutions for our customers. We’ve earned the trust of our suppliers and our customers through our steadfast commitments to quality, operational excellence and technology leadership.