The ideal candidate will have at least four years of experience, preferably with a focus on retail electricity, with an emphasis on programming, statistical modeling, data science and/or forecasting. The candidate will also have other advanced skills and proficiency in various roles, particularly in analytics, data science, or other math, economic or related disciplines, in order to show a wide breadth and depth of experience and knowledge. The candidate will also be able to show significant experience or knowledge in at least one other related discipline, as well as a deep knowledge of data science and leveraging large datasets to generate insight in support of the business. In addition, the Manager should have knowledge and proficiency in systems architecture as it pertains to customer data, risk and forecasting systems from a retail perspective. Lastly, the Manager should have the ability to lead a team, develop employees and their skillsets, and manage projects and responsibilities in a team setting.
The primary responsibility is the development of new techniques, models, and/or processes to utilize the growing granularity and availability of market, utility/ISO and contract/load data to generate analytical insight on our customers. The candidate will be expected to leverage their experience, knowledge and tools to have a direct impact on the growth and development of advanced analytical capabilities and impact commercial decisions related to the business. Finally, the candidate should have advanced experience with at least one advanced statistical/data science software package (Python/Pandas/SKLearn preferred) and relational database (Oracle SQL preferred).
Secondary responsibilities include the management of load forecasting processes and products for various NRG retail brands, including the development, maintenance, operation and review of load forecasting models, along with the management and work development of team members. In addition, he / she will manage the effective communication of results, drivers, and feedback to stakeholders and cooperative groups regarding the forecast output, settlement analysis, and performance analytics in conjunction with their team. He / she will also be responsible for managing various projects both internal to the group as well as in conjunction with other teams.
Examples of knowledge and techniques:
- Statistical modeling, including time series, panel data, artificial neural networks, multiple regression, and KNN clustering
- Thorough understanding of electric load modeling constituents, including weather and transform functions
- Statistical analysis to construct performance metrics (MAD, MAPE, RMSE, R-squared, etc.)
- Advanced programming skills (relational databases, including Oracle SQL; scripting / object-oriented coding including Python, SAS, R, and VBA; Big Data tools, including Hadoop/Hive; and visualization tools including Spotfire or Tableau)
- Comprehension of deregulated power markets, portfolio management and optimization, energy supply stack, customer profiling
- Thorough comprehension of load, including ISO-level, regional-, zonal-, congestion-level, customer profiles, C&I and mass customers
- Proficient in trending analysis, correlation to weather, attrition, conservation
- Proficient in short- and long-term forecast (time scales from hours to decades)
- Collaborate with various upstream and downstream groups, including structuring/costing, risk control, segment marketing, retail analytics, and commercial operations/supply
- Conduct original research and publish and/or present work in leading energy publications/ conferences
- Knowledge of electricity-market hedge instruments, including settlement mechanisms, volatility attributes, and liquidity constraints
- Knowledge of market load and deviation settlement mechanisms, capable of shadow-settlement calculations
- Provide valuable insights to marketing to advance cross selling initiatives such as providing solar to retail customers and vice-versa
- Application of data science best practices to a business problem
- Studying existing business processes to suggest efficiencies and improvements
- Ability to represent the Company in external forums such as PUC and ISO meetings
- Leadership skills to manage, delegate work, and provide skill development to their subordinates
- Ability to manage projects, communicate expectations, and meet / exceed deadlines
The Manager is expected to work in a fast-paced environment and have a strong ability to multi task. The Manager should have advanced computer skills to be able to develop applications to streamline processes, extract and mine large datasets, develop front-end applications for visualization, work alongside IT for bug-fixes, code enhancements, and user-testing. The Manager is expected to possess a fundamental knowledge of weather and energy businesses (portfolio optimization, applying fundamental analysis to enhance load forecasts). The individual will also be able to convey not just the forecast output, but provide risk to the forecast (upside / downside) based on fundamental information. Furthermore, the Manager is expected to lead a team to help ensure the success of the broad group in accordance with company standards and policies.
Bachelor’s degree in Analytics, Statistics, Economics, Data/Computer Science, or math/programming related field, Master’s degree is preferred
- Four (4) years of experience, with an emphasis on programming, statistical modeling, data science and/or forecasting. Retail electricity experience preferred.
- Four (4) years advanced skills and proficiency in various roles, particularly in analytics, data science, or other math, economic or related disciplines, in order to show a wide breadth and depth of experience and knowledge.
- Two (2 ) years of experience leading a similar team or in a Lead or Sr. Level similar position.