WHO YOU ARE:
The Manager, Strategic Development plays a critical role in supporting Vontier’s strategic transformation, including assisting with evaluation of new markets and business models, conducting commercial due diligence, and partnering with teams of subject matter experts and operating company leaders in helping to develop and present a point of view on acquisition, investment and partnering opportunities, as well as driving continuous improvement of Vontier’s strategic development processes. This position creates value by keeping ahead of external trends and competitors, by focusing on long-range topics that have the greatest potential to change the way our industry operates. This is a highly visible role, interacting frequently with the C-suite and operating company leaders, and prospective targets and partners. The Strategic Development team at Vontier works in close partnership with the Corporate Development team and other functional teams to accelerate our strategy.
- Experience in either mobility, transportation, software, digital business models, SaaS, the Internet of Things, and/or regulated industries will be a strong plus.
- BS / BA and MBA or JD from a top-tier institution
- 3-4 years of strategy experience within a premier management consulting firm or investment bank AND at least 3-4 years of corporate or business unit strategy / development expertise within an engineering or technology firm
- Strong listening and communication skills—including a willingness to listen and understand questions; ability to distill complex concepts for a lay audience.
- Presence and ability to lead when challenged or in adversarial situations (e.g., negotiations) and in the face of significant complexity.
- Balance – clear ability to see pros and cons, bull/bear considerations, evaluate risks and avoid groupthink.
- Humility and teamwork; ability to take feedback and coaching and adapt to new challenges.
- Ability to work in both tactical and strategic realms, assessing and communicating commercial risk and opportunities, financial concepts, and legal issues.
- Sound judgment – the ability to identify and assess risks and uncertainties in a due diligence context; ability to recommend accepting known risks where appropriate.
- Strong personal organization and prioritization skills – the ability to successfully manage large, complex projects from inception to conclusion, involving diverse, cross-functional teams.
- Uncompromising ethics and integrity; non-political.
- Strong quantitative, financial and analytical skills: ability to build, critique and refine voice-of customer research and financial models quickly and accurately – be the expert on the details/numbers and change “altitude” deftly (i.e., go from details to big picture and back).
- “Shareholder value” focus – deep understanding and acceptance of direct linkage between personal success and corporate value creation through effective capital deployment and excellent execution
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
Work along strategy leadership across a broad theme of topics and responsibilities including (but not limited to):
- Vontier proprietary market work approach to assist with the identification, prioritization, and completion of rigorous evaluations of markets of potential interest to Vontier and its operating companies.
- Support the competitive landscape to help identify and prioritize opportunities to accelerate our strategy, including through tracking of public companies, cultivating relevant companies and experts, and interaction with investment bankers and other sources of opportunities in coordination with the Corporate Development team.
- Help identify, evaluate, cultivate, conduct due diligence, and continuously deepen our understanding of key players in markets of prospective strategic interest to Vontier and its operating companies.
- Form independent points of view on the risks and opportunities associated with markets and prospective targets.
- Work alongside internal deal sponsors of completed deals, with respect to strategy and commercial insights.
- Support the development of global market and product strategy across existing and potential new markets, identifying key areas for development.
- Drive continuous improvement of our strategy, market work and due diligence efforts to create a more dynamic process.
- Identify innovation opportunities, drive business performance, and challenge operating companies to deliver organic growth.
- Leverage cross-operating company synergies identifying logical intersections and extensions of current core competencies and differentiators.
- Synthesized the Vontier strategy in a concise and easy-to-communicate way that can seamlessly be translated into action.
- Build strategic thinking skills and capability across the organization to improve decision making, prioritization, dynamic resource allocation and innovation.