Roche’s Global Product Development (PD) organization is responsible for all late stage drug development. PD strives to find effective treatments for patients around the world through complex clinical trials, careful result analyses, high standards of safety and close cooperation with regulatory authorities.
The newly created role of Manager / Sr. Manager, Science Communications reports to the Head of Global Product Development Communications and is based in South San Francisco at Roche’s Genentech offices. As a member of the PD Communications team, you will be responsible for developing content that translates complex scientific concepts and information for internal audiences, with a focus on increasing employees’ knowledge and understanding of our pipeline.
In addition to being the PD Communication team’s science expert, you will serve as the Communications Business Partner to the SVP, Global Head of Clinical Hematology/Oncology. In this role, you will develop and execute communication strategies that support PD Oncology initiatives and drive alignment and engagement among PD Oncology colleagues, as well as PD’s 5,000 employees around the world. You may also serve as the Communications Business Partner to the head of one additional function (PD comprises 10 global functions).
The Manager / Senior Manager, Science Communications will work closely with fellow members of the PD Communications team and will interact frequently with senior leaders and peers in PD’s five main global sites, as well as with colleagues in Roche Group Communications (Basel), Genentech Corporate Relations (SSF), the two Research and Early Development groups (gRED & pRED), and others.
- In collaboration with the Head of PD Communications, develop and implement internal communications programs to increase knowledge and understanding of PD’s pipeline and its role in the broader Roche organization
- Develop an integrated editorial calendar, identify story ideas and create original written & digital content for internal channels
- Serve as a trusted Communications Business Partner to the Global Head of PD Clinical Oncology, and potentially to the Head of one additional PD global function
- Plan and execute leadership visibility activities that create connections and drive engagement, including the creation of executive emails, videos, talking points and blogs
- Assist with the writing and production of PD’s quarterly and annual reports
- Provide presentation support to the CMO/Global Head of PD, in addition to PD’s three Therapeutic Area Heads: Oncology; Neuroscience; and Immunology, Infectious Diseases & Ophthalmology (I2O).
- Work with and manage external consultants and agencies to ensure timely delivery of projects
- Collaborate with peers and colleagues across Roche to ensure coordinated and consistent communications
Who You Are
- A life sciences degree – preferably a Ph.D.
- A proven track record in science writing in the pharmaceutical / science / medical communications field is essential
- Experience in the pharmaceutical / biotech industry highly desirable
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex scientific topics and concepts to audiences of varying knowledge levels
- Strong PowerPoint skills are critical, and experience with digital publishing platforms is a huge plus
- Self-starter comfortable working in a fast-paced, matrix environment
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills with deep knowledge of English grammar and AP style
- Understanding of and appreciation for regional and cultural norms and how they influence communications among diverse audiences
- Strong interpersonal and influencing skills, and the ability to effectively communicate with employees at all levels of the company
- Collaborative, team-oriented style with a focus on client service
- Experience successfully managing outside contractors
- Keen attention to detail and ability to manage multiple simultaneous projects while meeting deadlines
- A bias for brevity (and a sense of humor wouldn’t hurt)
Job ID: 00453529