Industry: Energy & Utilities•
8 - 10 years
Posted 63 days ago
The Manager Senior Information Technology - IT Communications directs two or more major areas within Information Technology. Areas of assignment may include technology strategy, resource strategy, project management, portfolio management, asset optimization, architecture, application development and support, engineering, construction, network operations and support, telephony, operating systems, operations, network communications, middleware, database design and administration, security and field services. Leads and coaches staff and front-line leaders and managers, ensures that staff has technical, business and professional skills needed to support business objectives, and determines appropriate staffing levels for projects and responsibilities. Supervises and manages projects and work, tests and evaluation programs in areas of assignment. Ensures architectural, business and regulatory requirements and standards are met. Resolves complex issues and recommends and implements viable alternatives and solutions. Responsible for the development and implementation of budget and resources needed for cost effective operations. Manages support efforts to meet client expectations and maintain appropriate service level targets. May plan, establish, and coordinate processes, procedures and activities in support of high availability operations.
• Senior leadership accountability for the strategy, engineering, and maintenance for all IP networking technologies, including LAN, load balancing, route/switch, Express Route, firewalls, River Beds, MPLS, VOIP, Cisco UC, and dynamic routing.
• Senior leadership accountability for the strategy, engineering, and maintenance of Field Area Network including all 800MHz communication backbone, MAS master stations/radios, and TDM (mutiplexing systems).
• Senior level accountability for the field and data center hardware and system integration.
• Leadership over state and metro field crews focused on maintenance of 800MHz radio, smart grid, physical security systems, and field/mobile pc support.
• Works with business partners to ensure reliable communication for the control of Smart Grid/Distribution Automation, Metering technologies, Electrification efforts, and Grid Reliability.
• Owns and develops the APS IT 10 year Communications Plan, which supports not only IT network needs, but also any large scale fiber backbone required to provide reliable network connectivity to the bulk electrical system and other business technology projects
Requires BS in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related degree plus eight (8) years of progressively responsible, related experience in areas of assignment , or an equivalent combination of relative education and work experience. 5 years previous supervisory experience and demonstrated effective leadership, project management, interpersonal and communications skills.
- For application development and support areas, requires an advanced understanding of system and application design and integration across multiple platforms.
- For engineering and construction areas, requires an advanced understanding of engineering design, construction and technical knowledge of information and communication systems and equipment as well as management knowledge of engineering disciplines and electronic design theory. Demonstrated knowledge of information and communication systems, distributed and/or mainframe environments, network architecture and sub-systems, distributed and/or mainframe server architectures and cross platform interfaces.
- PE or equivalent certification is preferred for engineering and construction assignment.
- For infrastructure operations areas, requires an advanced understanding of distributed and/or mainframe operations, computer and communication systems networks; operating systems software, middleware, and related technical hardware; and database management design and utilization.
Preferred Special Skills, Knowledge or Qualifications
Demonstrated ability to apply advanced techniques and guide others in application. Knowledge of production processing and support center activities preferred. Knowledge of distributed and/or mainframe environments, network architecture, office product standards, applications, and web technology.
1) Direct a major segment of IT activities to support planning, project management, portfolio management, application development and support, operating systems, middleware, enterprise engineering, construction, network operations and support, database administration, and security.
2) Provide leadership and direction for delivering IT support and services. Develop and retain a highly skilled IT team including leadership personnel and leadership back up. Create and sustain business/technical literacy and maintain clarity about values, visions, meaning and purpose.
3) Participate in the identification and evaluation of changes and trends in technology and practices. Implement integrated plans and systems, and ensure consistency with technical and business architecture while meeting tactical objectives. Support business justification and assessment of cost and impact of technological changes.
4) Oversee the development and implementation of budget and resources needed for cost effective operations. Ensure IT expenditures remain within approved budgets in support of business plans. Minimize short and long-term IT investment costs.
5) Direct efforts to meet client expectations and maintain appropriate service level targets. Resolve design/engineering/operational issues and recommend and implement viable alternatives and solutions.
6) Ensure architectural, business and regulatory requirements and standards are met. Ensure availability of application/operational systems and processes at a high level of performance and availability.
7) Manage the development of business plans and resources to ensure operations continuity and to ensure the integrity of corporate data, proprietary information and related intellectual property through information security and access management.
8) Oversee the management of contractor and vendor services and work relationships.
9) May direct the design, development, engineering and construction of information and communication systems and networks. Manage major projects, tests and evaluation programs. Ensure integration, implementation, and operation of new and existing systems and enhancements, physical infrastructure, networks and hardware for voice/data/computation or capacity.
10) May direct staff engaged in development and support of business applications, infrastructure operational systems, middleware, data services, and security for information and communication systems. May oversee the implementation and support of software infrastructure and systems.