Flowserve is the recognized world leader in supplying pumps, valves, seals, automation, and services to the power, oil, gas, water, chemical, and other industries. With more than 17,000 employees in more than 55 countries, we combine our global reach with a local presence.
The SOX Manager will report to the Director, Corporate Audit Services and will manage the company-wide SOX assessments. In addition, the manager will assist the Director of Corporate Audit Services to develop the annual risk assessment and support the company’s efforts with Enterprise Risk Management (ERM).
This position will ensure the effectiveness of internal controls in compliance with corporate objectives and government regulatory standards and provide guidance to the platform and corporate financial leaders. This position will review, evaluate, develop, implement, maintain and verify internal financial controls for processes, systems, financial statements, journals and reports in accordance with internal auditing and government mandated standards. The position will identify internal control gaps in business procedures, processes or systems and initiates appropriate remedial action.
The Manager, SOX will be primarily responsible for the following:
• Performs complex, value added professional internal auditing work. Work involves leading or supporting the planning and execution of SOX audits; providing consulting services to the organization’s management and staff; providing key input to the development of the annual audit plan; and providing training and supervision to Internal Audit staff and Guest Auditors.
• Direct a team of auditors in the design and effectiveness testing of internal controls of the company’s key business controls as part of the Sarbanes-Oxley compliance program.
• Direct the compilation and evaluation of the company’s risk register and uses the risk assessment in determining the audit / SOX plan in preparation for Board review and approval.
• Candidate will function independently under general supervision
Other essential duties include, but are not limited to:
• Direct the planning, organizing and execution of financial and SOX audits.
• Direct the development of a risk-based audit approach (including standard audit procedures) which focuses on significant business risk exposures, improvement opportunities, as well as financial and compliance risks.
• Develops presentation materials for periodic reporting to the Audit Committee and development of the annual internal audit plan.
• Performs and leads the execution of audit procedures, including identifying and defining issues, developing criteria, reviewing and analyzing evidence, and documenting client processes and procedures.
• Interview, review documents, develop and administer questionnaires, composes summary memos, and prepares detailed working papers.
• Identifies, develops, and documents audit issues and recommendations to enhance internal controls, maximize efficiency and minimize exposure to loss and regulatory risk using independent judgment concerning areas being reviewed.
• Reviews and provides audit comments for draft reports and support findings identified during field work. Obtains management agreement on control issues and commitment to implement recommendations.
• Direct and assists corporate and site personnel with the ongoing design, maintenance and assessment of controls, including the creation and maintenance of process walkthroughs and controls documentation.
• Perform and lead periodic testing/assessment of controls.
• Provide Sarbanes-Oxley and internal controls training to corporate and site personnel.
• Develops and maintains productive client and staff relationships through individual contacts and group meetings.
• Provides training, coaching and guidance to Internal Auditors/Guest Auditors in conducting audits, the usage of tools, and other audit-related issues.
• Assist/lead in assessing, developing, maintaining, systematic data mining and reporting protocols and promoting continuous improvement of tools and processes to strengthen the company’s risk, controls, and compliance programs
• Represents Corporate Audit Services on organizational project teams at management meetings and with external organizations. Stay abreast of current business and industry trends relevant to the business. Demonstrate in-depth technical capabilities and professional knowledge. Demonstrate ability to assimilate to new knowledge
• Be available to travel 30%-40%, including international travel where valid passports/visas may be required.
Education and Experience:
• Accounting or Finance degree required, MBA a plus.
• 6 or more years of full-time experience in auditing, accounting or business analysis.
• Prefer at least 3 or more years of supervisory or project management experience.
• CPA, CA, CIA, CISA, CFE certifications highly preferred.
• Experience in industry auditing and accounting. (Manufacturing/inventory experiences a plus)
• Foreign language(s) a significant plus: Chinese, Spanish, French, German, Japanese, etc.
Must also have the following demonstrated knowledge, skills, and abilities:
• Ability to motivate and lead staff to the successful execution of an audit project.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks and re-prioritize issues and tasks easily.
• Experience in negotiating issues and audit observations as well as in resolving problems with client personnel.
• Possess effective verbal and written communications, including active listening skills and skills in presenting findings and recommendations.
• Advanced skills in conducting quality control reviews of audit work products.
• Excellent people skills and is flexible in adapting to fast changing situations.
• Considerable knowledge of and skill in applying internal auditing and accounting principles and practices.
• Advanced knowledge of the Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing and the Code of Ethics developed by the Institute of Internal Auditors.
• Awareness of requirements related to internal controls over financial reporting as set forth by the Sarbanes-Oxley Act 2002.
• Knowledge of the COSO controls framework
• Ability to establish and maintain appropriate working relationships with co-workers, staff and external contacts, and to work effectively in a professional team environment.
• Considerable skill in planning, project management, and in maintaining composure under pressure while meeting multiple deadlines.
• Advanced skills in collecting and analyzing complex data, analyzing and evaluating information, and drawing logical conclusions.
• Advanced skills using Excel, databases and other business software to prepare reports, memos, summaries and other analyses.
• Knowledge of or at least a familiarity with fraud, forensics, and other detection techniques and concepts.
• Familiarity with information systems terminology, concepts and practices.
• Skills and experience in the use of Computer Assisted Auditing Techniques (CAAT’s), such as Tableau, Power BI, IDEA and ACL.