Are you looking to do your life’s work and excel at something you're passionate about? At Assent we understand that opportunities are all around us, every day, in some of the most unique scenarios. Finding the one that excites and interests you is something we take very seriously. Enabling our Assentees to be inspired by one another and building a team of like-minded individuals who remain smart, curious, and passionate is in our mission and Assent DNA. We believe in working hard, staying humble and letting our success do all the talking. Welcome to an opportunity that will give you the pathway to do your life's work in a meaningful way, with supported growth and the encouragement to inspire, and be inspired, by those around you on a daily basis.
The Manager, Software Development is responsible for leading an engaged team of Software Developers and Technical Specialists in the design and implementation of scalable, high-performance software applications. This role will lead technical implementations and manage the software development process and tasks associated with designing, developing, and maintaining a SaaS system to meet our current and evolving business needs. This role is for a technical leader who is passionate about leveraging people’s strengths and technology to solve complex puzzles, accelerating greatness for their team, Assent customers, and our business.
This role is open to candidates within Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, and Waterloo. Other locations may also be considered.
You’ll have the opportunity to:
- Lead, grow, and coach an engaged and talented team to accelerate greatness as they iteratively design, develop and maintain software applications that deliver value for our customers;
- Inspire excellence, pride of ownership and a high standard of quality, accountability within the team and beyond;
- In partnership with other Development Managers and Technical Leads, provide architectural and technical guidance to the product development team;
- Collaborate with Product Management, Product Design, and Quality Assurance teams to ensure alignment on product direction that is translated into clearly defined requirements, user stories, and acceptance criteria;
- Lead the decomposition of projects, assessment of effort, and planning efforts in collaboration developers, architects, product management, and other stakeholders;
- Articulate and deliver on work plans and objectives, setting, managing, and communicating priorities and expectations effectively;
- Manage product releases by monitoring progress to plan and proactively making necessary adjustments to meet delivery schedules, and requirements;
- Evangelize and improve product development, testing, and release processes within and across teams in collaboration with the VP, Engineering and other stakeholders;
- Drive an improvement in velocity to speed time to market for our new products;
- Apply comprehensive knowledge of Agile development to ensure and support best practices;
- Establish and maintain a high level of business engagement and constructive working relationships between the Development team and the rest of the organization including Product Management, Customer Success, Sales, and Marketing;
- Be a key component on how Assent grows as a company and thought leader in the space of global compliance.
Does this sound like you:
- A post-secondary degree in Computer Science (or related) and 7+ years of experience of progressive experience in Software Development, with a proven track record in a similar technical leadership role;
- Strong leadership and people skills—you are energized by solving challenging inter-team related puzzles and effective at rallying cross-functional teams towards common goals;
- Experience in applying agile practices to drive iterative user-centered innovation;
- Strong mentoring and coaching skills, with a proven ability to empower your team to develop and achieve desired outcomes;
- Driven to continuously improve the team, practices, the product, and as an individual;
- A passion for uplifting and working closely with those around you;
- Effective presentation and public speaking skills—you are skilled at leading meetings, and effectively convey goals and initiatives to team members and stakeholders;
- Experience working with upper management to align strategies and solutions, with a practical approach to implementing those initiatives;
- Excellent influencing and negotiation skills, with the ability to apply sound judgment under reasonable pressure;
- Experience with release planning, sprint planning, and tracking;
- Working experience utilizing Continuous Integration/Deployment concepts;
- Experience with the Atlassian toolset is an asset (JIRA, Confluence);
- Experience with high performance, scalable, and highly available distributed databases is an asset;
- Experience in establishing, monitoring, measuring, and improving Software Development Life Cycle and Quality Improvement processes;