Fueled by a fundamental belief that having access to financial services creates opportunity, PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL) is committed to democratizing financial services and empowering people and businesses to join and thrive in the global economy. Our open digital payments platform gives PayPal’s 237 million active account holders the confidence to connect and transact in new and powerful ways, whether they are online, on a mobile device, in an app, or in person. Through a combination of technological innovation and strategic partnerships, PayPal creates better ways to manage and move money, and offers choice and flexibility when sending payments, paying or getting paid. Available in more than 200 markets around the world, the PayPal platform, including Braintree, Venmo and Xoom enables consumers and merchants to receive money in more than 100 currencies, withdraw funds in 56 currencies and hold balances in their PayPal accounts in 25 currencies.
As an Engineering Manager on PayPal's Risk Platform, you will lead a team of engineers in designing and building innovative new risk capabilities.
Leading by example, you will inspire engineers on your team with
- your highly-motivated work ethic,
- your open communication style,
- your exceptional hands-on technical skills, and
- your architectural guidance.
You will foster team growth, empowering your engineers through goal-setting and retrospectives. You will partner with product teams to define product capabilities. You will lead the the design, development, and deployment of new services into production. You will build high quality, scalable, and performant systems.
You must be well-rounded, comfortable:
- ideating on a whiteboard,
- documenting sequence diagrams on Confluence,
- running performance analytics in Excel, or
- trolling through logs files looking for exceptions.
If you are passionate about bringing innovative products to life and inspiring others, we want to talk to you!
Roles and Responsibilities
- Leads and motivates teams in a fast-paced, dynamic, and global environment
- Coaching and training your employees to be high performing contributors
- Partner with Engineering teams to deliver integrated Risk solutions into their product flows
- Providing technical leadership and architectural guidance
- Partnering with architecture & product teams to craft great user experience
Desired Skills and Experience
- Must be a self-motivated, goal oriented individual with excellent organizational skills
- Have a strong background in leading teams and making others great
- Success in hiring, mentoring, and developing effective Software Engineers
- Has managed performance (includes creation of goals, conducting performance reviews etc)
- A proven track record of success in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Understand Agile software development processes, including story and backlog management tools (like Rally)
- Experience in Java, J2EE and micro-services
- Proficient in current unit testing and automated functional testing frameworks
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong understanding of REST APIs
- Understanding of distributed systems, data streaming, Complex Event Processing
- Familiarity with predictive analytics, machine learning, rules engines
- Experience with development tools like Spring, GIT, Maven, Modern IDEs, etc.
- Must have strong design skills, translating requirements into technical specifications and design documents
- Strong skills working with relational databases
- Knowledge of Risk, Compliance or Payments industries is a bonus
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- 10+ years of experience in building scalable web applications and mid-tier services
- 5+ years of managing a team of Software Engineers
- Bachelor’s degree and/or Master's degree in Computer Science Engineering or a related field, or equivalent
We're a purpose-driven company whose beliefs are the foundation for how we conduct business every day. We hold ourselves to our One Team Behaviors which demand that we hold the highest ethical standards, to empower an open and diverse workplace, and strive to treat everyone who is touched by our business with dignity and respect. Our employees challenge the status quo, ask questions, and find solutions. We want to break down barriers to financial empowerment. Join us as we change the way the world defines financial freedom.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.