This position manages a team focused on building laboratory automation software for Illumina’s array development team. The software assists Illumina’s customers in executing pre-defined array workflows leveraging lab instrumentation. The team is responsible for designing and implementing complex user interfaces, and interfacing with external systems, such as instrument control software, databases, and information management systems. As a player and coach, the role will define and prioritize product requirements, develop roadmaps, and guide execution through the entire software life cycle. The role will work closely with marketing, assay scientists, bioinformaticians, software developers, quality assurance and customers to ensure our products are successful in the market.
- Manage the day-to-day activities of the software development team against project plans and commitments within an agile/scrum environment.
- Design and implement user interfaces for control of laboratory automation instruments, including interaction with vendor instrument control software.
- Design and implement software components to connect laboratory automation instruments with information management systems and databases.
- Define the technical vision and roadmap working closely with marketing and product management departments.
- Assist business analysts and internal customers in identifying business rules and requirements.
- Report on status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to management.
- Work with marketing teams to perform technical feasibility and assessment for new business opportunities.
- Ensure automation and assay performance exceed defined metrics for new workflows and liquid handling hardware devices (robots and or integrated fluidics devices)
- Provide technical input to enable development and maintenance of strong business relationships with third party automation suppliers
- Lead technical scope definition and execution of on-market product enhancements for Illumina’s array workflow automation, ensuring all ECI / CAPA are closed within <60 days.
- Hire, mentor and motivate product development team members and contractors/partners
- Work with array platform software leadership and program manager to establish project team workload to consistently deliver against established schedules.
- Lead definition, execution and summarization of software verification testing.
- Implement containment and root cause corrective actions in response to customer and or manufacturing complaints and CAPAs.
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional task and responsibilities.
- Proven track record of developing user interfaces to enable facile and robust integration of workflows into production scale operations
- Demonstrated ability to integrate software programs to control automation or robotic hardware systems
- Excellent written, communication, and presentation skills, with excellent time and program management skills
- Ability to communicate requirements and negotiate priorities with both marketing and software development
- Curious, detail oriented, and analytical, with a proven ability to learn quickly
- Experience or knowledge in following areas
- User interface development for thick clients (.Net or Java)
- REST APIs
- Relational databases
- Multi-threaded design and implementation
- Iterative development life cycle methodologies and application of those principles, especially agile/scrum development practices
- Standard software development tools, including source version control, defect tracking, documentation, and testing systems.
- Experience in the following areas is highly preferred
- Tecan or other liquid handler robot systems
- Life sciences, genomics, or pharmaceutical industries
- Molecular biology, bioinformatics, or a related field of biology
- Minimum 2 years management of a software development team
- B.S. in computer science, engineering or related field; MBA or PhD is highly preferred.