Working at The Weather Channel television network
As The Weather Channel television network, we have heightened focus on innovation, first-class storm coverage and hyper-localized weather information available through our various TV platforms including: The Weather Channel, WeatherScan and Local Now. For more than 30 years, The Weather Channel television network has inspired viewers to explore, investigate and appreciate the experience of weather in all its forms.
We are one of the most widely distributed television networks and the leader in severe weather coverage, providing the most comprehensive real-time programming of any media outlet, with trusted meteorologists who analyze, forecast and report the weather.
Weather is inherently fascinating, and we share our passion through the stories we tell to our audiences through our programming. The more our viewers engage with us, the more our stories illuminate how weather impacts almost everything.
Our Social Media Manager will define and execute the social strategy for The Weather Channel TV network’s portfolio of brands across social networks. They are charged with extending the editorial voice to the social sphere and collaborating with our on-camera meteorologists in an effort to drive key network initiatives.
The candidate for this role is well versed on all major social platforms, stays up to date on the latest trends and shifts in the industry and is willing to pursue fresh ideas to achieve corporate goals and strengthen the relationship between The Weather Channel and its fans.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop social media strategies and direction for the company working across functions
- Develop and implement appropriate tactics that grow Local Now, Pattern, and The Weather Channel’s social media footprint and enhance the brand
- Seek out and interpret user feedback through a variety of traditional and non-traditional resources to guide social media program development and innovation.
- Review competitive and marketplace analyses to assess trends and develop innovative new products and experiences.
- Ensure that social media is being leveraged effectively to enhance the user experience and support business strategies and goals.
- Act as an editor of all social platforms, approving and editing content to ensure consistent brand voice
- Identify new opportunities and provide strategy recommendations to increase effectiveness of online and television marketing campaigns
- Continuously optimize the brand's presence on Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Pinterest, Instagram and other relevant social media platforms
- Educate and train talent and executives on social media trends and tools
- Develop, test and execute social media and user-generated content integration on Weather Group platforms
- Understand and propose solutions that would encourage users to contribute and share their photos, videos and other experiences with Weather Group brands and its consumers
- Partner with Client Solutions and Ad Sales to develop social campaigns and best practices around advertiser requests
- Advise internal clients on Internet marketing and social media strategies and how to effectively integrate into their overall marketing communications strategy
Education, Experience, Certification Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Advertising, Communications or equivalent field or equivalent work experience
- 5 years experience in marketing or communications manager or related role
- 5 years experience with online communities, managing social media programs and user-generated content and/or web communities
- Demonstrated experience with in-depth, innovative marketing techniques
- Demonstrated experience in developing unique, value-building, marketing programs
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong ability to organize information based on analysis of marketplace and user feedback, particularly in the online environment
- Ability to conceptualize and oversee creative execution of materials
- Ability to find and use relevant data to model future product and business opportunities
- Ability to work in a breaking news and deadline driven environment
- Understanding of brand standards and social media marketing best practices
- Exceptional communication skills and the ability to interact and present strategies and objectives both internally and externally and interact with all levels across the organization (i.e., technical teams, business unit leaders, etc.)
- Familiarity with the Adobe Creative Suite is a plus
- Exceptional customer facing social writing and communication skills
The Weather Channel does not accept agency/search firm referrals for this posting, or other postings, without prior written permission from The Weather Channel Human Resources. The Weather Channel is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Relocation costs are not provided for this job, by submitting a resume, candidates understand and acknowledge that The Weather Channel will not provide relocation assistance or support and that relocation will be entirely the responsibility of the candidate.