A Brief Overview
Under general direction, manages the work and results of the Customer Resolution Specialists and Financial Assistance Specialists for both hospital and professional billing. Assist Director in planning, organizing and working with leadership to develop all aspects of self-pay processes, including identification of government or other eligibility, insurance exchange, financial assistance or other source of payment during or prior to the Admission process. Manages all self-pay billing and collection processes and departmental support functions therein. Manages Customer Resolution Specialists to ensure patient questions and concerns are handled in a prompt, friendly manner. The individual in this role works to improve current departmental processes and policies in a way that increases both operational efficiencies and patient satisfaction. Participates in implementing the processes and procedures for a new function (integrating two patient financial statements and two customer service departments) and ensuring that the procedures are consistently followed.
What you will do
- Manages both hospital and professional customer service departments and assists in integrating them into one
- Manages the schedules, performance and work products/services of the Customer Resolution Specialists and Financial Assistance Specialist
- Serves as a resource for both customers and revenue cycle personnel to expediently address and resolve billing and collections questions and/or concerns.
- Maintains a complete record of current policies and procedures followed by staff in the manager's areas of responsibility; responsible for having complete knowledge of the patient flow and steps taken by staff to complete these procedures; assures that staff is adequately trained and meets competency requirements and levels.
- Manages appropriate staff levels. Develops goals and priorities, and assigns tasks and projects. Develops staff skills and training plans. Counsels, trains and coaches assigned staff. Implements corrective actions and conducts performance evaluations. Provides leadership, direction and guidance. Represents the department on various committees; conducts regular unit staff meetings.
- Responsible for designing, developing, and monitoring of performance improvement processes. Manages implementation of standards and systems to enhance quality, consistency, efficiency, and timeliness of responsibilities for the enterprise on a 24/7 basis. Monitors to ensure that integrity and accuracy of registration data is maintained by the staff supervised. Works collaboratively with other departments to ensure the processes and systems for registration are standardized and optimized for efficient and effective flow of patients within the department and the organization.
- Oversee payment plans and other credit procedures, bad debt write-offs, and processing of bankruptcies.
- Through leadership and by example, ensures that services are provided in accordance with state and federal regulations, organizational policy, and accreditation/compliance requirements.
- Manage multiple projects in a timely and efficient manner.
- Bachelor's Degree in a related business discipline from an accredited college or university
- Five (5) years of related customer service management experience (i.e Credit and Collections, etc.) including One (1) year of supervisory/management experience;
- Business/Health Administration background and experience
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Familiarity, knowledge and understanding of the following including but not limited to:
- o Relevant Hospital Policies, Practices and HIPAA regulations.
- o Registration (Epic) and billing systems (Epic) and databases.
- o Governmental and non-government requirements applicable to patient registration processes.
- o Familiar with the complexities with the health care/hospital environment (front office, service areas and clinician operations
- Demonstrated business communication skills with patients, providers and other clinicians; Effective interpersonal skills and professional conduct
- Demonstrated analytical, problem solving abilities, strong organization and decision-making abilities including Conflict management skills
- Maintain effective working relationships with all employees and upper management.
- Customer service and relationship management
- Balance priorities and Lean principles
- Project management skills (Utilize Lean/project management protocols for efficient workflows).
- Demonstrated computer and software applications skills including Microsoft Office applications including Excel, Word, Project or other spreadsheet and/or word processing software.