The Field Sales Manager is accountable for effective leadership and supervision of personnel in his/her assigned area and will have a small territory for which he/she will be accountable. The territory will include Charter Management Organizations and Education Management Organizations as assigned by the Area Sales Director. This manager is responsible for achieving sales and profit objectives for the assigned area through hiring, training, developing and directing personnel within the territory. This manager is responsible for growth of opportunities and relationships in the established and emerging CMO/EMO territory, as well as collaborating withinternal partners to achieve targeted growth. This person is accountable for the management of resources to ensure the achievement of the area’s profitability goal. The Field Manager will have an in-depth command of product knowledge in all disciplines and also be able to present those products, demonstrating the command of that product knowledge.
- Develops a strategic plan for area of responsibility based on information received from Dir Sales and the needs of the customer to meet assigned quota. Partners with Account Exec on creating effective sales strategies/action plans. For own territory: Designs strategies that address customer needs and issues; targets and prioritizes accounts and activities; analyzes competitors’ activities and adjusts appropriately; utilizes regional, national and Per Diem resources effectively; monitors and adjust plans as conditions warrant; conducts ongoing pre-work; thinks outside the box and takes qualified risks to gain the competitive edge; works collaboratively with internal partners to achieve CMO/EMO growth targets.
- Strategically plans sales calls by outlines objectives and action steps; listens actively and acknowledges the customer’s “odds are;” uses the exploratory process and the questions strategies to “drill down” and uncover customer gaps; presents solutions by positioning product to emphasize features, advantages, and benefits (FABs) connected to the gap.
- Manages the activities of the staff. Conducts objective setting, midpoint and annual appraisal for Account Execs. Observes staff in field. Responsible for attracting, developing, coaching, motivating, empowering and retaining sales professionals. Resolves conflicts within team and with other departments.
- Manage and stay within district budgets. Approves Account Exec’s expense reports.
- Manage territory and set priorities based on sales pipeline as represented in salesforce.com; develop innovative strategies/solutions to increase pipeline which will generate revenue.
- Serves as liaison to other company functions, communicating staff needs, issues, and input to sales, editorial, and marketing departments. Promotes positive a relationship between staff, sales, and internal teams. Communicates and creates cohesion across content areas. Frequently communicates and collaborates with Sales Managers
- The People Manager role is a very important one at HMH. People Managers at HMH enable and empower people to do their best work in an environment that encourages collaboration and innovation and fosters development and learning. They translate the company's strategic vision, align their group's work, and help individuals understand their impact on HMH's success. They assess their direct reports' performance and partner on career planning. They are collaborators and catalysts, breaking down complex problems into simple solutions and leading through change.
- This position requires a Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s desirable)
- 5-7 years sales or service delivery experience with a proven track record in meeting quota and customer service expectations in the Educational Publishing, K12 Educational Sales or Technology field. 1-3 years people management/administrative experiencepreferred. Educational sales experience and teaching skills are desirable.
- Charter Management Organizations and Education Management Organizations sales experiencepreferred.
- Collaboration; decision-making; inter-personal / written / verbal communication; problem-solving; product & market knowledge; functional & computer proficiency.
- The ability to lift, up to 60 pounds.
- Proficient in MS Office and Sales Management Software.
- Requires heavy travel – driving and air travel. 60-70%.
- Acceptable driving record required.
- Might be in a stationary position for a considerable time (sitting and/or standing).
- The person in this position needs to move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer.
- Must be able to collaborate with colleagues via face to face, conference calls, and online meetings.
- Must be able to travel up to 70% of the time possibly being domestic air travel and/or driving between customer sites.
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (NASDAQ:HMHC) is a global learning company dedicated to changing people’s lives by fostering passionate, curious learners. As a leading provider of pre-K–12 education content, services, and cutting-edge technology solutions across a variety of media, HMH enables learning in a changing landscape. HMH is uniquely positioned to create engaging and effective educational content and experiences from early childhood to beyond the classroom. HMH serves more than 50 million students in over 150 countries worldwide, while its award-winning children's books, novels, non-fiction, and reference titles are enjoyed by readers throughout the world.
Job Requisition ID: 14977