Discover the Difference You Can Make at Gate Gourmet
Gate Gourmet, a gategroup company, is the world’s largest independent provider of catering and provisioning services for the airline industry. For the past 70 years, we have served over 250 carriers in more than 30 countries. Gate Gourmet combines culinary expertise with the highest standards of food safety and production to deliver delicious, healthy, and affordable meals to over 270 million travelers around the globe.
We are currently looking for a Manager, Sales and Service to join our Commercial team based in Reston, Virginia. Reporting to the VP, Sales & Service, the Manager, Sales and Service will be responsible for o verseeing all aspects of account management and Sales & Service functions, including communication with the airline head office and local airport office where the operational unit is located.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensures compliance with all customer and airline service requirements by maintaining performance on customers as specified in the contract.
- Handles bids and RFP organization, planning and submission/negotiation
- Responsible for developing and maintaining a good, professional working relationship with both the customer kitchen Management & staff, and Corporate headquarter team members, establishing a clear line of communication at all levels.
- Liaises with unit Account Manager to provide account-specific training to Unit personnel as required. Ensures that all kitchen personnel are trained on all type of customer aircraft and have current loading diagrams and configurations.
- Maintains prompt and effective communications with customers and operations staff to resolve issues.
- Monitors unit performance and takes a proactive position in ensuring that quality service standards, unit hygiene, HACCP, billing accuracy, and inventories are maintained at the highest level. Conducts performance follow up reviews with kitchen management & staff, while ensuring prompt turnaround response to the customers.
- Serves as the primary contact for all day to day regional operational communications working with each designated kitchen Account Manager as well as HQ teams; communicates with the customer as assigned with the ability to develop business relationships which allow for root cause issue resolution.
- Acts as the single point of regional and business contact with the airline and should be available on call to respond to customer phone calls and e-mail inquiries.
- Must work with the assigned Corporate and kitchen Chefs to ensure proper menu specifications and directions are followed.
- Works with the designated kitchen Account Manager to ensure all inventories are reported in the airline systems on time and accurately each month.
- Responds to airline comments or complaints in a timely manner with a 48 hour period from the time the comment/complaint was received.
- Arranges customer visits including meal presentations at the Operations unit. Assists Sales & Service Director with customer meal presentation and RFP kick-offs calls and strategy sessions.
- Participates in weekly conference calls with the Director, Sales & Service to discuss sales issues.
- Handles bids and RFP organization, planning and submission/negotiation.
- Prepares for and delivers regular reviews/reports with the internal and external customers about the activities and results of the project (Menu Presentation/Bids) team.
- Serves as the “voice of the customer” within the project team and gategroup
- Manages customer performance across the Division.
- Champions improvement initiatives on behalf of the project team
- Responds to customer requests
- Works with gategroup colleagues to identify and implement best practices.
- Ensures processes and procedures are in place to fulfill all gategroup performance and delivery obligations.
- Ensures proper communication and training in such processes and procedures for the project or delivery teams.
- Develops excellent business relationships with all customer contacts and identify opportunities to grow gategroup business
- Liaises with the gategroup colleagues on all significant account issues
- Develops standard operating procedures to ensure customer deliverables standards are met.
Bachelor’s Degree or 4 years equivalent work experience in Sales & Service.
- 5-7 years experience in Sales, airline and/or airline catering required
- Previous project management experience preferred
- Experience in a food related industry is preferred with exposure to multi-ethnic cuisines.
- Experience working with international clients is advantageous to the position.
- A background in revenue management and/or pricing is preferred but not mandatory.
- Customer service background with experience working in an Asian environment preferred
Technical Skills: (Certification, Licenses and Registration)
- Strong organization and/or project management skills
- Account management
- Large scale catering operations or logistics, airline catering experience preferred
- Sales and/or customer service experience
- Able to shift roles and responsibilities as business needs change.
- Able to work effectively in a team environment.
- Able to find innovative ways to solve problems
Language / Communication Skills:
- Excellent verbal and written skills, ability to present proposals and performance data, comfortable interfacing with senior executives.
- Fluency in mandarin required
- Fluency in Cantonese is beneficial to the position, however not mandatory.
Understanding of and familiarity with Chinese culture preferred