The Manager, Respiratory Therapy II position is responsible for supervising department staff, providing leadership to inpatient respiratory services, and for ensuring positive physician/staff relations. Position oversees the day-to-day operations of the respiratory department and works to ensure clinical quality and patient satisfaction. It may involve participating in the marketing, planning, program development, and community outreach functions as determined by the department director.
Education: Bachelors degree in Respiratory Therapy or related healthcare field; in lieu of a Bachelors degree will accept an Associates degree in Respiratory Therapy from an accredited institution with an educational plan to complete the Bachelors degree
- Current and unrestricted State of Texas Respiratory Care Practitioners license and Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) certification from the National Board for Respiratory Care, Inc (NBRC) required
- Current Basic Life Support orother certification based on respiratory unit requirements
Experience / Knowledge / Skills:
- Minimum of five (5) years respiratory care experience in a hospital setting, in which at least three (3) of them are critical care experience
- Minimum of three (3) years of supervisory and/or management experience required
- Completion of management/leadership training programs as designated by the institution within first year of employment
- Excellent knowledge of TJC requirements relative to Respiratory Care as well as exceptional clinical skills
- Expertise in all areas of respiratory care service line management preferred
- Demonstrates excellent organizational, technical, management and both verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrates commitment to the Partners-in-Caring process by integrating our culture in all internal and external customer interactions; delivers on our brand promise of “we advance health” through innovation, accountability, empowerment, collaboration, compassion and results while ensuring one Memorial Hermann.
- Responsible for the day-to-day supervisory operations of a respiratory care unit; to include hands-on patient care, planning for continuity of care for forecasting next shift’s needs, administrative call, personnel problem-solving, quality assurance and improvement.
- Formulates and ensures optimal patient outcomes and customer satisfaction through ongoing performance initiatives with multidisciplinary teams according to the age/needs of the patient/population served.
- Participation in unit, hospital and/or system-based committees and performance improvement initiatives.
- Supervises and manages monthly financial, operational, and clinical services to ensure adequate staffing and scheduling; screens and selects staff, establishing appropriate level of compensation; addresses performance issues and takes corrective action as necessary; conducts performance reviews in a timely and effective manner.
- Collaborates with Director to assist in establishing scope of service, goals and in developing strategic plan for department.
- Complies with all applicable regulatory requirements and standards.
- Establishes credibility with physicians, management team members, and outside business partners and customers.
- Adhere to participating in ongoing management/leadership training programs as designated by organization’s leadership; to include reading professional publications and participating in professional organizations.
- Participates in a systemic, interdisciplinary, and ongoing evaluation of programs, process improvement, desired client-centered outcomes, and organizational outcomes.
- Ensures safe care to patients, staff and visitors; adheres to all Memorial Hermann policies, procedures, and standards within budgetary specifications including time management, supply management, productivity and quality of service.