The Department of Computational Medicine is a robust infrastructure that supports bioinformatic, computational and statistical needs of all faculty across the Cedars-Sinai enterprise and the expanding needs of our Research Departments and Institutes.
Responsible for the daily planning, organizing, directing and controlling of the operations of assigned area, in order to meet the needs of all customers, Faculty and support of Medical Center goals and philosophies. The Manager, Research Operations assumes fiscal responsibility through preparation of unit budgets, serves as liaison with Faculty and other personnel, promotes the maximum growth and development of each employee, supports research, participates in both strategic and tactical planning. The Manager, Research Operations is accountable to the Department Chair and/or Institute Executive Director and serves as the primary source of information for the department, as well as maintains competency skills including the ability to interact with Faculty and staff within their assigned area, the Medical Center and throughout the Health System.
The Manager, Research Operations plans, organizes, manages and controls the daily operations of their area and works closely with departmental leadership, Faculty, Principal Investigators (PIs), staff and students to provide analytical support and project management in fulfilling the established goals and objectives for the department and organization. Strategizes and collaborates with the Director and senior leadership, along with Academic Affairs regarding development and implementation of policies and procedures. Manages and supervises administrative staff; provides leadership coaching, and opportunities for professional development. The Manager, Research Operations facilitates Human Resource (HR) functions for their area by collaborating with the appropriate HR partners for Faculty and department staff recruitment, visa and immigration assistance, employee relations, compensation, and benefits.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensures compliance with state and federal laws, accreditation, professional and regulatory agency standards and licensure requirements. Maintain staff compliance with medical center policies, procedures and protocols.
- Assumes fiscal responsibility for the department including unit budget preparation, labor and supply cost management, and revenue enhancement.
- Responsible for tracking and reporting all high-level Capital/Operations projects. Prepares complex or high-level regular and ad-hoc financial reports for the Department Chair and/or Institute Executive Director. Works closely with leadership to develop processes and tools to monitor research funding and activities for the area.
- Supervises the research protocols as mandated for research and ensures optimal levels and continuous improvement of quality within their work area. Maintains appropriate quality management and oversight programs.
- Supervises department employees, including responsibility for determining qualifications, hiring, maintaining and improving competence, assigning work, coaching, training (e.g. orientation, in-service and continuing education), evaluating performance, compensation, discipline and terminating employment.
- Interact regularly with PIs and staff to assess team needs, provide information and resolve issues.
- Promote a team atmosphere and manage staff regarding but not limited to the following: Manage the on-boarding of new lab staff, Develop job descriptions, Conduct employee annual appraisals, Identify staffing needs, Conduct probationary period meetings with new staff, and Counsel, coach and terminate staff as appropriate.
- In collaboration with the Institute Executive Director and/or Division Director, develops business and operations plans for department and for specific programs and services within it.
- Manages the effective utilization of human resources and supplies within the department, including the development of appropriate staffing and management of productivity. Develop staffing plans in response to research and department activity. Recommend space and other resources for needed services. Participate in the selection of outside sources for needed services.
- Collaborates with other research, department and clinical/support service managers in other areas to help foster cross-functional process improvement, collaborative teamwork, open communication and problem solving to ensure the effective coordination and integration of services within and between units.
- Works closely with the Office of Research Administration and designated Research Grant Specialist to ensure all grant awards are appropriately managed and maintained for Faculty holding a primary appointment in the area.
- Responsible for facilitating the Faculty contracting process in coordination with Academic Human Resources.
- Collaborates to problem solve and make decision to achieve desired outcomes.
- Establishes effective working relationship with cross-functional team(s)
- Responds timely, effectively and appropriately to deliverables.
- Shares knowledge, time and expertise to assist other members of the team.
- Cultivates and maintains strong customer relationships and rapport with stakeholders and/or client groups
- Ensures practices and procedures are inclusive of interpersonal and cultural diversity.
- Identifies and responds appropriately to both internal and external customer needs utilizing available resources.
- Represents the company with external constituents.
- Responsible for hiring, onboarding, managing schedules, personnel actions, performance reviews, and performance improvement plans up to and including terminations as appropriate.
- Plans, leads, and directs work of staff to ensure goals and objectives are completed within established budget and deadlines are met.
- Supervises the day-today work of employees, assigns work, ensures tasks are completed and deadlines are met.
- Acts as a team lead to include overseeing the work of others, assigning or allocating work to the team, and ensuring tasks are completed according to deadlines and quality standards.
- May need to travel to attend education/professional conferences or to present on behalf of the Institute.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Administration, or equivalent work experience required. Master's degree, MBA or MPH preferred.
Licenses and Certifications:
- Research Administrators Certification, RACC, SoCRA or equivalent certification from professional society preferred
Experience and Skillset:
- Five (5) years of related experience with increasing responsibility. Knowledge of general accounting and financial analysis required, GAAP rules is preferred.
- Intermediate working knowledge of The Joint Commission and other state and local regulatory requirements.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills. And has full command (verbal and written) of the English language.
- Demonstrates commitment to customer service and an ability to meet the needs and expectations of patients and health care colleagues.
- Demonstrated success working independently, forging relationships, and managing multiple tasks with minimal directions.
- Ability to analyze qualitative and quantitative information for decision support.
- High level of proficiency using Microsoft Windows and other Microsoft Office software: MS Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint Word, etc.
- Must be able to manage competing priorities, while being extremely adaptable and flexible and maintaining a positive work environment