The Manager Real Estate Contract Services leads the team responsible for management of corporate real estate assets by negotiating contracts, leases, sales and acquisitions. The team is also responsible for documenting contracts and completing map reviews, property inquiries, legal descriptions, and maximizing the value of the corporate real estate portfolio through revenue generation and management. The manager ensures all agreements accurately reflect negotiated terms that are in compliance with corporate policies. The scope of the role includes oversight for coordination of services between stakeholders within various organizational departments.
- Provides oversight for contract negotiations and property valuations and utilizes a strong understanding of ROI, FMV, book value, gain/loss on sale, tax assessments and tax deferred exchanges
- Manages title/closing process for real estate transactions including obtaining and interpreting legal documentation related to title, deeds, easements, financing, contract terms and commitments.
- Provides oversight of economic development opportunities for KCS related to corporate real estate assets
- Engages with all relevant internal departments to ensure proper representation of Real Estate interests and matters
- Works directly with internal legal department to develop appropriate agreements for use and protection of railroad property - including leases, sales, rights of entry, encroachments, etc.
- Participates in the development of processes and procedures, standards and tools aimed toward improving departmental function and efficiencies
- Participates in professional organizations based on area of expertise and/or company focus to maintain association with other real estate professionals within the industry and remain current in relevant trends and issues.
- Exemplifies KCS Vision, Values, and Culture in each and every interaction with team, clients, and stakeholders.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited university or college, preferably in a job related major field of study
- Minimum of seven (7) years of experience with real estate contracts – language, terms, and negotiations, including strong understanding of contracts, terminology, and basic contract law
- Minimum five (5) years of experience with real estate appraisals, determination of market values and rents of corporate real estate assets
- Minimum one (1) year of experience directly or indirectly leading a team
- Experience managing compliance with federal regulatory requirements and specifications
- Experience using, reading and interpreting GIS, maps, legal descriptions and determination of title
- Experience assessing real estate impacts of environmental conditions, protections and regulations
- Or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Rail industry experience strongly preferred
- Strong understanding of real estate transaction closing documentation
- Basic understanding of mineral rights and leasing
- Project management experience
- Business development experience
- Familiarity with and ability to interpret legal descriptions and boundary surveys, real estate law and terminology
- Strong analytical, comprehension, verbal and written communication, prioritization, time management and problem solving skills.
- Must be able to effectively manage team independently
- Ability to read and interpret technical journals, financial reports and legal documents
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.)
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of an organization
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals
- Proficient keyboard skills (typing, data entry, etc.)