The R&D Manager provides support in the creation of new and innovative products. The incumbent works within several or many of the product divisions as required and assigned. The Manager assists with diversifying the Company's product offering and facilitates growth into new or existing markets.
- Attends weekly cross functional team meetings with R&D, Marketing personnel and others to discuss projects and associated timelines, goals and objectives.
- Partners with Manufacturing, Operations and vendors to coordinate plant trial production processes and inclusive of scheduling and material (ingredients, packaging etc.) delivery logistics.
- Attends live plant trials, as requested.
- Performs appropriate bench work to produce prototype samples of new products.
- Gathers and reviews all appropriate documentation for certifying body approval (organic, kosher), NLEA and other regulatory requirements, and internal specification development within the Technical database.
- Collaborates with Quality Assurance to ensure food safety, SQF and HACCP program requirements are met and to provide product specifications and other related information to populate the Technical database (PV).
- Monitors ingredients and packaging components to identify potential cost savings measures and communicates that to R&D Directors and Operations personnel.
- Learns the various manufacturing equipment capabilities associated with the processes for which products may be developed.
- Maintains ongoing research and knowledge of technical service developments inclusive of potential opportunities for new products and new developments within the industry.
- Partners with co-manufacturers and internal facilities to troubleshoot or optimize product formulations and production efficiencies.
- Assists with other projects as needed
- 5+ years expereince in food, bevereage, or other product development role
- BS degree or higher in food sciences, food process engineering, or related biological sciences
- Experience with facilitating the various stages of product life cycle
- Understanding of manufacturing equipment, their processes and capabilities within a food category.
- Knowledge of organic regulations or natural foods a plus.
- 5% travel required. Travel may be local, cross country or international.
- Good organizational skills, ability to prioritize multiple priorities and strong attention to detail is required.
- Computer skills including MS Office programs such as Outlook, Word, Excel PowerPoint.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate (verbal/writing) effectively.
- Self-motivated and strong analytical / problem solving skills.
- Ability to collaborate at all levels of the organization and across other functional areas.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Experience in the Consumer Product Goods Industry with a focus on dairy products.