Conagra Brands has the most energized, highest-impact culture in food. Our people persistently challenge and disrupt marketplace/business conventions and we are respected for our great brands, great food, great margins and consistent results. Conagra Brands, be part of building something BIG.
Provides leadership of Food Service products and platforms in the R&D product development group. Manages both the technical team and as well as own projects in day-to-day development and commercialization of new, improved, and cost-reduced products. Drives food product innovation for Food Service businesses and provides leadership for cross functional project teams. Will lead by example by owning and managing own project load as well as be a technical mentor and resource for the team.
- Coaches/mentors/develops food scientists.
- Communication of strategies, priorities, and direction to staff.
- Champions ideas for technology improvements, cost savings, innovations that align with strategic goals of the company.
- Accountable for excellent product design, product quality and performance specs for Food Service products.
- Acts as a Product Development business interface for the Food Service Marketing Team. Manages technical team and cross-functional initiatives as part of business team leadership.
- Cultivates and fosters relationships with internal and external business and technical partners.
- Maintains high awareness of consumer and technical trends/developments in the food industry.
- Lead development of technical work plans and execute projects integrated with business teams.
- Set tactical objectives to drive business results.
- Exhibit a high level of professionalism and positively contributes to the image of Conagra Brands in technical community.
- Lead and carry out product development activities across multiple product categories including benchtop prototypes, hands on plant testing, scale-up and coordination of all aspects including nutrition information, ingredient statements, packaging and labeling issue, sensory testing, customer required documentation, etc.
- Work closely with the Culinary Team to translate Gold Standard recipes into commercially viable new products across the globe.
- Use influence management skills to lead enterprise Research, Quality & Innovation teams to develop new products and processes or improve existing products and processes.
- Work with the plants to define quality standards for key attributes, write specifications, and assure that improvement/maintenance issues are handled correctly and within the timeframe required by internal and external customers.
- Participate at customer conventions and meetings as appropriate.
- Prepare and present written and oral technical presentations for internal and external customers.
- Act as a subject matter expert in training management as well as hourly employees on technical issues that will aid in their decision-making and job performance and lead to higher quality products for the customer.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Food Science or related field with minimum 7 years relevant work experience in the food industry, MS/PhD preferred
- Minimum 2 years people management experience with demonstrated ability to recruit and develop talent.
- Experience developing and commercializing food products across a variety of product platforms and/or food processing technologies.
- Experience with Foodservice product development, baked goods development and commercialization preferred
- Knowledge of Food Service restaurant operations preferred
- Excellent understanding of food science and technology principles, and ability to apply them in product development and commercialization as well as translate this into mentoring of food scientists
- Exhibits leadership and demonstrated ability to influence technical and business partners.
- Basic understanding of business and financial principles.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills.
- Effective negotiating skills when working through conflict resolution.
- Ability to taste and distinguish sensory characteristics of many different types of products
- Ability to think creatively and innovatively with respect to both products, processes and execution at the restaurant level
- Excellent ability to manage a large number of projects concurrently
- Strong coordination skills and ability to excel in a fluid, cross-functional team environment
- Must be well balanced between the strategic view of the work and the executional aspects of the job
- Exposure to manufacturing environments for periodic extended work days to include: loud noise, excessive heat, cold, wet, and slippery conditions.
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time
- Ability to lift 25-50 lbs
- Ability to stand for sit or stand for extended periods of time