Position purpose and scope:
To plan, implement, manage and participate in the assigned Quality Engineering operations to:
• ensure that the pre-commercialization quality activities are completed
• communicate quality related information throughout SCJ
• identify methods and technologies to improve quality and productivity
• identify and participate in Consumer and Customer driven quality improvement projects.
The incumbent plans and manages the activities of his/her subordinates in the planning and implementation of Quality Engineer/Audit functions, and provides resources for completion of these functions. The incumbent is responsible for planning, managing, and participating in the pre- and post-commercialization quality engineering/auditing activities, which include:
• use of statistical techniques to develop and improve products and processes
• FMEA (Failure Mode and Effect Analysis)
• process mapping
• control plans
• training in the quality sciences
• evaluation of production capabilities
• process validation
• review of consumer complaint data
• quality system and compliance assessments.
• resolution of quality issues at suppliers and contractors
The incumbent’s efforts cause him/her to relate with a variety of departments within the company. His/her major contacts include RD&E, Legal, Product Supply, Logistics, Procurement, Contract Manufacturing and Marketing.
Outside the company he/she communicates with technical representatives of suppliers to resolve problems and obtain information on materials and processes used in the manufacture of products.
Most important accountabilities:
1. Develop, publish, and implement quality engineering/auditing methods.
2. To manage the activities, practices, and procedures employed by his/her subordinates to ensure successful product launches.
3. Make timely decisions concerning nonconforming products and processes to ensure that the company meets its safety, quality and business objectives.
4. Develop, implement, manage, and participate in the Quality Engineering programs aimed at preventing safety and quality problems from occurring.
5. Promote the application of quality engineering, reliability engineering and preventative techniques such as statistically designed experiments, FMEA, AQL and Defect Classification, and Control Plans throughout the entire organization.
6. Assure that the incumbent and his/her group practice state-of-the-art quality engineering/auditing techniques to assure the design, development and launch of new or revised products.
7. Select, develop, and motivate a competent technical staff to provide the base for efficient and effective quality operations. This function includes the evaluation of technical performance by administration of annual performance reviews of staff members, by the recommendation of salary increases and by the recommendation and implementation of skill development programs.
8. Develop and recommend to the Regional NA Quality Manager the group’s annual objectives, expense, capital budgets, and changes in the composition of the group to meet strategic plan objectives.
9. Manage and implement Supplier and Contract Manufacturing Quality Assurance strategy to align with North America objectives.
10. Ensure that the Supplier Quality Assurance resources are in support of NA Product Supply customers.
11. Provide quality system and compliance assessments of current and potential SCJ suppliers and contract manufacturers and drive continuous improvement.
Required skills and education:
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering: Mechanical, Industrial or similar Quality related focus
- Minimum of 7 - 10 years years experience in quality engineering
- This position requires an incumbent with thorough and updated knowledge of applicable quality engineering techniques, which include:
• Component and product life testing techniques and data analysis
• Applied Statistics including Design of Experiments
• Quality planning
• Quality audit
• New product development and commercialization processes
- High level of integrity
- Excellent communication skills (via different media)
- Will work with the highest level of compliance to Safety, -
- Health and Environment rules and regulations
- Experienced in managing a team from a distance