The Manager is responsible for identifying storytelling opportunities, developing compelling stories and content, and engaging media to help convey those stories amongst multiple external stakeholders. Candidates must have a proven ability to develop compelling storylines, frequently from highly scientific topics, that align to traditional, digital and social channels and a track record of success in earned media placements.
The Manager must be able to demonstrate strategic thinking and the ability to provide thoughtful counsel to a broad range of internal and external contacts across all levels of management. The Manager will work closely with the department director on certain topics and independently on others.
The Manager is responsible for the coordination with public relations firms and interaction with internal clients to help execute communications programming.
The position will report directly to the Senior Manager, Public Affairs for Abbott’s diagnostics business. All division PA functions have a line reporting relationship to Corporate Public Affairs.
CORE JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop communications and positioning for diagnostics products (roughly 50% split on US programming / 50% international).
- Cultivate strong relationships with media in both the trade (health and diagnostics) arena and consumer media (business, health) – leading to coverage in top-tier business, financial and consumer media as well as trade journals. Maintain relationships with key contacts through thoughtful, strategic engagement.
- Work extensively with US and international business, including affiliates, to enhance the visibility of our products and services amongst identified target audiences, with approved key messages.
- Bring to the table an understanding of today’s communications environment amongst earned, owned, social and paid media and how to align and maximize opportunities provided by these channels for Abbott’s diagnostics products.
- Drive good communications practice globally. Provide counsel and support to markets in how to utilize and execute strategic communications to help achieve their business goals.
- Develop messages, press materials, social posts and other communications tools.
- Act as a spokesperson for assigned topics – by business or therapeutic area, and in other situations as required. Interact with journalists to help ensure favorable positioning within stories.
- PR agency management – in coordination with colleagues.
- Interface with various division and corporate internal stakeholders to achieve goals, including Govt Affairs, investor relations, legal, finance, marketing, regulatory, medical, clinical and senior management.
- Coach divisional spokespeople and third-party spokespeople on delivery of messages.
- Work to anticipate, identify, plan and mitigate for issues which could represent a business risk. Collaborate across functions to develop coordinated responses, mitigation plans as well as counsel management on reputation/business impact. Work to actively influence the business decision making process. As issues arise, develop issues management plans, statements/ other communication documents and oversee execution of plans.
- Responsible for compliance with applicable Corporate and Divisional Policies and procedures.
- Finance/Administrative: Ensure proper adherence to all financial and administrative policies. Ensure programs fall within budget parameters and all paperwork is completed in appropriate manner (invoice logging, purchase orders, statements of work, etc.).
SKILLS / EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- More than 5-7 years of experience in media relations, with a deep understanding of how to use external communications to enhance reputation. Experience in healthcare or scientific communications preferred.
- Strong contacts and working relationships with a variety of top tier media.
- Able to achieve results while dealing with ambiguity and a rapid pace of change.
- Demonstrated ability to use communications to drive business results.
- Excellent writer and communicator who can organize, summarize, clarify and communicate ideas simply, succinctly and accurately.
- Experience with science storytelling and successfully communicating complex scientific topics in understandable language.
- Experience in developing and implementing media relations plans and proven ability in placing media stories and managing relationships with national/international contacts
- Experienced user and creator of social media to drive awareness and engagement
- Some experience with issues and policy communications preferred.
Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Public Relations, Communications, or related field is required.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Abbott welcomes and encourages diversity in our workforce.
We provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities.