We are currently looking for a Manager Product Sustaining Engineer to join Thales in Irvine, California. The Manager Product Sustaining Engineer is expected to provide guidance, leadership and manage the Product Sustaining team in addition to other tasks typical of the Product Sustaining engineering role. As a PSE, He/She is expected to have full ownership of the assigned LRUs during their “in-service life”. He/She has responsibility and accountability for the LRUs’ performances, cost of maintenance and obsolescence Customer by Customer (versus World Wide average).
- Directly Manages 4 to 10 employees in the Product Sustaining team. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Overall responsible for the performances of the team and the Thales in-service LRUs.
- Leads teams in analyzing problems, making recommendations and implementing solutions.
- Relies on extensive knowledge of related disciplines to assist in the application of principles, theories, and concepts; assures continuity of conceptual features.
- Highly regarded for technical expertise and the ability to communicate issues.
- Is able to influence internal / external customers.
- Leads the development of medium- and long-range objectives, develops plans, and schedules to accomplish objectives; regularly involves others to accomplish objectives.
- Responsible for the development, maintenance and analysis of LRU/SRU performance KPIs (MTBF, MTBUR, Cost of Maintenance).
- Anticipates problems and prevents them by effectively planning, communicating, and implementing alternative solutions.
- Responsible to analyze, investigate and mitigate LRU/SRU performance issues based on performance KPIs (MTBF, MTBUR, Cost of Maintenance, NFF, Bad from stock, Chronic) generically and customer by customer.
- Conducts and documents detailed failure analysis of electronic and electro-mechanical assemblies of Thales LRUs/SRUs and of third party LRUs.
- Supports and assist system/software level troubleshooting during product deployment and in-service operations.
- Responsible to fix LRU/SRU performances issues for in service LRUs.
- Responsible for the in-service deployment strategy and effectiveness of LRU/SRU fixes (in or out of production).
- Responsible for the repair strategy of the LRUs and SRUs following company guidance (product and warranty strategies)
- Support the development of LRU test equipment, methods and procedures.
- Identifies cause and effect relationships, assesses riskassociated with different plans of action and generates plans that encompass multiple disciplines to mitigate the risks for the organization.
- Manages obsolescence of out of production LRUs by qualifying replacement components that have been deemed Obsolete or End of Life.
- Support development of LRU and Repair technical documentations.
- Responsible for the development and orchestration of a monthly system reliabilityreports and presentations.
- Able to represent Thales when working with a customer on technical issues.
- Presents ideas effectively to internal and external personnel
- Can internally justify or explain the rationale for a process or technical change.
Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or related discipline.
- Minimum eight (8) to ten (10) years’ experience in electronics or avionics industry
- Must have prior Leadership and/or management experience
- Must be an appropriate organizational fit for the Thales culture, that is, exhibit the values of Compliance, Respect, Innovation, Responsibility and Teamwork.
- Managerial experience is a plus
- Be capable of interpreting mechanical and electrical wiring diagrams.
- Be capable of understanding LRU O.S. and Low Level SW design and concepts (LRU boot sequence, File system definition) and explaining how the SW utilizes the HW.
- Have working knowledge of IPC Electronics standards.
- Be proficient using a computer, Microsoft Office Suite and other office equipment.
- Must be able to use Typical off-the-shelf electronic lab equipment (oscilloscope, multi-meter, signal generators, etc)
- Must be able to learn how to use Thales system lab and repair / production benches and equipment
Job ID: R0022780