PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
Leads a group that participates in research and development towards new innovative products and improvements of current products. Act as primary point of contact and leader for project teams. Develops detailed engineering specifications for major engineering projects.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Acts as team leader and Project Manager for multiple long term projects with high scientific level.
- Plans, organizes, coordinates, directs, tracks and executes projects with clear objectives and timely deliverables.
- Interacts with internal departments and external customers; particularly in problem resolution. Acts as an advisor to subordinate(s) to meet schedules and/or resolve technical problems.
- Assures compliance to corporate policies and local standard operation procedures as well as domestic and international standards.
- Frequently interacts with subordinate supervisors, customers, and/or functional peer group managers, normally involving matters on new product development and manufacturing problem-solving efforts.
- Seeks and interacts with outside consultants, if needed, on project related technical matter.
- Contributes to the generation of ideas and potential inventions to be used in new products.
- Prepares patent disclosures, journal publication submissions, and presentation abstracts.
- Assists Patent Lawyers with development of patent documentation.
- Keeps abreast of relevant technology through literature and conferences.
- Supervises and directs activities of group members.
- Develops products from the concept stage through production transfer including specifications.
- Develops detailed engineering and scientific specifications for major engineering projects.
- Technically proficient in research and development and knowledge of industry practice and business principles. Works on issues of diverse scope where analysis of situation or data requires evaluation of a variety of factors.
- Hands-on involvement with fabrication and processing. Determines equipment needed within the department and seek to acquire it. Ensures equipment is properly maintained and improved as needed.
- Maintains a safe working environment and document safety activities.
- Develops qualification test plans.
- Maintains thorough lab notebook and design history files.
- Writes engineering reports, feasibility reports, and monthly reports.
- Maintains good documentation practices for all data forms, protocols, reports, Design History files, and laboratory notebooks.
- Responsible for monthly reports to R&D Department management and quarterly review presentations.
- Maintains general housekeeping of working area and plant.
- Provide technical guidance to staff and technical support to other departments.
- Assist with various projects as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
Additional responsibilities may include focus on one or more departments or locations. See applicable addendum for department or location specific functions.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
- The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Frequently required to sit. Occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers to handle,; reach with hands and arms and wear personal protective equipment that may include safety glasses, hearing protection, Smock, etc.
- Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
May be responsible for the direct supervision of various levels of Product Development staff.
Bachelor’s Degreerequired; Advanced Degree desirable
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
- 6 – 8years’ related experience.
- 3+ years’ supervisory or project/program management experiencepreferred.
- Must be familiar with FDA/ISODesign Control regulations and their application.
- Strong analytical, problem solving, critical thinking, organizational, and financial planning skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Proficiency with PC’s and strong understanding of Microsoft Office applications.
- Must possess excellent team building, training and facilitation skills.
- Must have the ability to communicate ideas clearly and concisely to management.
- Must be able to prioritize and balance multiple projects and priorities.
Job ID 18000E8F