Learn and work on meaningful initiatives with some of the best and brightest in the market research industry. The NPD Group provides the world’s most successful brands with leading market research, combining consumer and retail point-of-sale data with analytic solutions to interpret today’s market trends while anticipating tomorrow’s. In addition, we offer a career filled with innovation and growth to the forward-thinking problem solvers who join our team.
The Hardlines Sector at NPD works with some of the most well-known and exciting packaged and durable goods companies in the world.
Are you curious about shopping behavior and what drives consumers in making their purchase decisions? Are you familiar with “showrooming” e-commerce, and multi-channel shopping? Do you enjoy solving business problems in new and creative ways?
As a member of the Product Development & Marketing team, this individual will be responsible for the execution of new product development, guiding the process from vision to launch in line with each Practice’s product and revenue objectives.
This position will collaborate with Product leaders in developing and implementing product and go-to-market plans in one or more of the following industry practices: automotive, home appliances, housewares and office supplies. This individual will stay ahead of clients’ changing needs, industry trends and competition in order to actively identify new product opportunities.
This position will be based in Port Washington, NY.
- Partner with the Product Development Sector Lead to develop and execute the product strategy for the Practice(s) and drive pipeline planning for the product portfolio throughout the products' lifecycles.
- Generate new product ideas and assist in the development of product prototypes using a combination of data mining, industry knowledge and creative thinking
- Execute marketing strategies for the product portfolio, including target audience, positioning, competitive set, pricing and packaging.
- Gather information on needs assessment and client satisfaction and use it as input to inform product strategy decisions and to requirements for new products/existing product enhancements.
- Actively monitor industry trends, conduct market visits, and communicate relevant updates to the Product Team and Practice on a regular basis.
- Catalog the competitive landscape and maintain a current assessment of offerings and positioning relative to NPD.
- Develop the training and user support materials for each new product.
- Interact with several cross-functional groups including Sales, Commercial, Retail Business Group, Operations, IT, and Research Science to achieve objectives.
- Assist in meeting established revenue goals for product portfolio, in collaboration with the Practice.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in developing new products, including business plans and product requirements.
- BA/BS or equivalent, preferably in Marketing, Business Administration, Business Intelligence or related discipline
- Marketing Research experience, with POS and/or Consumer data on client side or supplier side a plus. Experience working within the hardlines industry and related companies is desirable.
- Strong understanding of data and analysis, with experience using consumer research, sales, and/or marketing data.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Proven ability to understand the features and benefits of products and explain the uses of these products to colleagues and clients with regard to their particular needs.
- Proven ability to analyze customer needs and goals to assist in generating thoughtful, creative proposals that exceed customer expectations and expand revenue opportunities.
- Highly proficient in all MS Office products. (Strong Excel, PowerPoint, Word).
- Some overnight travel required.
The ideal candidate must be able to conduct engaging and impactful presentations that deliver value to the client while telling a compelling story in a concise and polished manner to a diverse audience.
Most importantly, the candidate must demonstrate the ability to listen to the customer and appropriately match the customer's needs with NPD’s products and services, or be willing to direct the customer to the best solution.
The ideal candidate must be comfortable and effective when talking with a broad range of decision influencers and decision makers within an organization. The candidate will be able to work synergistically with a diverse group of stakeholders, ensuring cross-fertilization of ideas, and effectively understand and build relationships throughout the prospective customer's organization.