Responsible for managing, implementing and coordinating activities and operations to ensure adherence to the organization’s policies and procedures covering the privacy and access to patient health information in compliance with federal and state laws and the healthcare organization’s information privacy practices. Provides direct assistance to the Chief Compliance Officer. Models appropriate behavior as exemplified in MLH Mission, Vision and Values.
Education/Formal TrainingWork ExperienceCredential/LicensureREQUIRED:Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Healthcare Administration or related field.
Minimum five years of experience in healthcare privacy, security, or related field.Must obtain the Certified Healthcare Privacy Compliance (CHPC) certification within one year after date of hire
PREFERRED:Master’s Degree in Business Administration or related field.N/ARegistered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) from American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA)
- Knowledge of applicable federal regulations and laws applicable to healthcare organizations such as, Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (HITECH).
- Ability to analyze audit trails and other reports to validate appropriate associate access of protected health information
- Demonstrates leadership qualities/abilities.
- Possesses strong planning, organizational, and project management skills, problem-solving and analytical skills, interpersonal and oral/written communication skills, and process management skills.
- Requires attention to detail and the ability to manage multiple priorities and to meet objectives and deadlines.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of Associates, management, other key stakeholders, and outside parties including external auditors, governmental agency representatives, vendors, legal representatives, and operation management.
- Knowledge and skills with use of computers and software programs, including MS Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Must possess the ability to maintain confidential communication and to use sound business judgment and discretion.
Key Job Responsibilities
- Assumes a leadership role in implementation, management and coordination of proactive privacy programs, policies and procedures throughout the organization to ensure system-wide compliance with applicable federal and state laws and regulations, including HIPAA, HITECH and others.
- Responsible for managing privacy investigations and responding to privacy complaints and overseeing ongoing system-wide privacy auditing and monitoring activities.
- Manages and administers the process for receiving, documenting, tracking, investigating, and taking action on all complaints concerning the organization’s privacy policies including managing organization’s breach notification process.
- Responsible for oversight, managing and monitoring of the Business Associate Agreement database to ensure that all Business Associates agreements are executed timely.
- Develops and implements multiple privacy program elements designed to accomplish system-wide compliance with privacy and limit organizational liability.
- Monitors on-going adherence to system-wide privacy program elements.
- Conducts on-going and annual effectiveness assessment of the Corporate Privacy Program.
- Develops, conducts, and/or manages system-wide basic training and specific privacy training, which includes the development of training materials and presentation of the training content.
- The physical activities of this position may include climbing, pushing, standing, hearing, walking, reaching, grasping, kneeling, stooping, and repetitive motion.
- Must have good balance and coordination.
- The physical requirements of this position are: light work - exerting up to 25 lbs. of force occasionally and/or up to 10 lbs. of force frequently.
- The Associate is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity, such as preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; or extensive reading.
- The conditions to which the Associate will be subject in this position: The Associate is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions; job functions are typically performed under conditions such as those found in general office or administrative work.