The Human Resources Manager reports to the Senior Director, Human Resources and is responsible for overseeing the HR functions at our site in Cedar Rapids, IA. This position serves as a front-line operational support and internal business partner for the Cedar Rapids manufacturing site, which includes both manufacturing operations and administration. The Human Resources Manager will provide leadership and direction for recommending, implementing and supporting labor and employee relations practices necessary to establish a positive employer-employee relationship and promote a high level of employee morale. The Human Resources Manager will carry out responsibilities in the following functional areas: full-cycle recruitment for both hourly and salaried staff, onboarding, grievances, worker's comp, workforce planning, talent development, change management, employee relations, performance management, health and safety, employment law and compliance, and HR reporting.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- As a key member of the Plant Leadership Team (PLT), provides sound advice and coaching to department managers on all HR related areas that impact the plant
- Manages labor and employee relations, providing direction and counsel regarding human resources tools and processes.
- Develops a positive working relationship with union officials in order to resolve disagreements that may occur with respect to the application of bargaining agreement(s) provisions and to facilitate change or implement continuous improvement initiatives to achieve company goals.
- Conducts investigations and maintains disciplinary and grievance procedures; ensuring effective application and administration of collective bargaining agreements.
- Evaluates the key business conditions and business objectives of the site and determine how they relate to labor relations and the bargaining agreements. Develop a negotiation strategy aligning overall business objectives with collective bargaining objectives.
- Builds effective relationships with operational departments to understand their business goals and to proactively identify and implement solutions that align with organizational strategies
- Manages multiple requisitions concurrently and takes accountability for recruitment delivery targets
- Leads talent management programs, including performance review cycle tracking, individual development plans, and succession planning
- Coordinates and facilitates onboarding programs
- Identifies opportunities to optimize business processes in Workday to create efficiencies for the HR team
- Ensures the facility is in compliance with all Federal and State laws relating to such policies as EEO, FMLA, FLSA, Human Rights, ERISA, OSHA, I9 etc.
- Participates in plant staff meetings to ensure an integrated business partnership and strong link with strategy and the direction of the business
- Leverages system generated reports to conduct regular audits and provide relevant reports to the Plant Manager and Senior Director of Human Resources
- Ability to critically analyze HR data for the purpose of identifying trends and preparing HR plans (i.e. performance management tracking, vacancy reports, HR scorecard, retention rates, etc.)
- Participates in various HR projects as required
- Accessible to all production shifts
- Demonstrates tact and diplomacy and maintains discretion and confidentiality when dealing with sensitive employee data
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Bachelor's Degree in Human Resources or business related field or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum of three years of experience in Human Resources
- Manufacturing experience required, food industry experience preferred
- Experienced in a unionized work environment required
- Familiar with a 24/7 operational environment
- Must have a desire to walk the shop floor
- Curiosity and drive to learn the key factors that drive our success in safely delivering quality product at a competitive cost
- Experience and aptitude with HRIS, preferably with Workday
- Advanced computer skills in MS Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Outlook)
- Thorough knowledge of full-cycle recruitment process
- Strong customer service, relationship building, problem solving and follow-up skills
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Thorough knowledge of current trends and issues in Human Resources Management