Responsible for ensuring budgeted annual sales and expense objectives are met for the Americas sales territories for Illumina’s Pharmaceutical business. This function and team are an overlay that will work in close coordination with other sales functions such as Territory Account Manager, Strategic Account Manager, District Sales Manager, Segment and Product Marketing, other Regional Commercial teams and the Clinical Genomics Group in Illumina.
This management position will play a key role in Commercial strategy as it pertains to Pharma companies and CROs and Illumina’s Companion Diagnostics (CDx) partnership interactions, as well as our overall go to market and channel strategies. Regular interactions with both Illumina and Customer/Client Executives is an important part of this role due to the complexities and strategic significance of our Pharma customers relative to Illumina’s oncology and CDx strategies.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Develop, implement and monitor the specialist business/territory plans to meet assigned revenue quota.
- Responsible for the recruitment, development, retention and management of the team.
- Responsible for the direction, support and motivation of the Pharma sales specialist team to meet agreed targets and objectives.
- Responsible for ensuring that Illumina’s commitment to customer satisfaction is performed, delivered, and constantly improved.
- Ensure that Illumina’s values are followed by all staff.
- Monitor, assist, set standards, and evaluate the Pharma sales specialist team performance utilizing Illumina’s performance management tools.
- Establish territory quotas and achieve the quarterly and annual sales plan as assigned.
- Establish annual goals, including quarterly MBOs and ensure that the team strives to achieve these goals.
- Routinely monitor, and control selling and other expenses for the team.
- Contribute as appropriate to forecasting customer demand (i.e., product quantities and dollars, orders, shipments, large or strategic opportunities), typically in coordination with other sales team members who hold primary responsibility for forecasting.
- Responsible for ensuring that sales, financial, data access and management tools, including Cognos, Sales Force, Tableau and any other similar tools are utilized, and that the team is proficient in the use of these tools.
- To ensure a high level of liaison with other departments (e.g., Global and regional segment and Product Marketing, Alliance/partnership team, business development) and local sales team & staff to ensure coordination of activities and understanding of common goals.
- Act as a leader with respect to coordination and Global Account Management across selling regions.
- Responsible for interacting with customers and other external parties and developing such relationships. These skills and capabilities need to be utilized at all levels of customer organizations, including thought leaders, executives, lab directors, research scientists, lab technicians, etc. etc.
- Act as a key Illumina representative to/from our Pharma customers with all relevant internal Illumina stakeholders, including executives.
Preferred Educational Background:
- BA/BS or MS or equivalent degree in Life Sciences, or Genomics related disciplines. PhD is a plus.
Preferred Experiential Background:
- A minimum of 7+ years of sales experience in the Life Science/Genomics industry.
- A minimum of 1-3 years of sales management experience in the Life Science industry. This experience is highly desired.
- Knowledge of and technical expertise in the application of genomics tools to the Pharmaceutical Drug Development process.
- Knowledge of and recent/current technical expertise in microarray and Next Generation Sequencing technologies, related data analysis tools and solutions and related competitive landscapes.
- Knowledge of and experience in selling into Clinical and Translational research settings, as well as highly regulated labs and customers.
- Must be able to build relationships at a very high level (primary), as well as at the bench/technician level scientist (secondary).
- Ability to effectively communicate and influence internal and external audiences, using both oral and written communication skills.
- Experience and familiarity with a highly matrixed sales model and organization structure is highly desirable.
- Experience with budget planning and tracking.
- Ability to report on sales results to senior sales management and other related functions when needed.
- Ability to present on status of markets and/or Illumina’s business in areas of focus to internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to think and operate strategically.
- Talent Acquisition activities which include identifying needs of the department, justification for budget to fill positions, coordinating with HR to market the position, review resumes, conduct interviews and identify and decide on a candidate as the potential hire, and employee orientation to the department and company.
- Talent Development activities which include developing training plans with employees to ensure they have the necessary expertise to successfully perform their jobs, provide ongoing guidance to employees, and career counseling to help employees develop and advance in their careers
- Job Role Definition ensures that job descriptions accurately record the primary responsibilities, qualifications and terms for each job role in their group
- Performance Management activities include setting performance standards, ensuring employees have appropriate and realistic job goals, providing ongoing feedback about employees’ performance, conducting performance appraisals, including assessing how the employees have performed and how they can improve their performance, developing performance improvement plans if employees’ performance is not adequate and providing rewards for employee accomplishments.
- Team Selling Model. Ensure that team members work cooperatively and constructively with other functional roles and teammates under the Illumina team selling model that includes various specialist roles, account managers, key account managers, district sales managers, inside sales, and in some geographies, distributionchannel managers. Adherence to the spirit and goals of this model will be critical to the success of the team and achievement of financial objectives. For this role, it is particularly important that the team selling model execution extends beyond just the AMR region, given the global nature of many of our Pharma accounts.
- Ensure employees follow all applicable company policies and procedures