The Performance Test Manager is a hands-on role that will play an integral part in building a Quality Assurance and Testing Center of Excellence. The Performance Manager is responsible for providing technical expertise and strategic direction to the organization in the area of application performance Testing & Engineering solutions. This role will contribute to the planning, execution, analysis, and tuning efforts to deliver high-performance end to end applications. The primary function of this role is to provide architectural guidance for application design and development that will ensure scalability and minimizes performance issues.
Key Result Areas
- Partners with the application architects to identify specific infrastructure components (hardware, software, database, etc.) for architectural and tuning improvements; define and document volumetric requirements across a variety of functional domains.
- Partners with key stakeholders to conduct code reviews, technical specification reviews and define architecture to improve network and system performance
Conducts technical assessment as part of a proof of concept
- Develops and communicates performance, load and stress testing goals, priorities, and status.
Performs software system performance analysis, including analysis of application design, coding, and validation of performance results; ensures all test specifications are implemented correctly
- Identifies metrics for monitoring increased performance and scalability
Provides guidance for performance test initiatives that take a true end-to-end focus on ensuring client side, server tiers, database and data integration jobs are performing as expected
- Conducts performance prototyping, system capacity modeling and projections, performance driven design, application profiling and base-lining to measure and improve system performance
Troubleshoots performance, load , and stress testing through analysis of system design/coding
Strategizes, plans and manages End to End performance solutions for the applications/ Infrastructure in scope
- Evaluate and research emerging performance tuning methodologies, performance & monitoring tools, processes and technologies
- Proactively develops and implements organization-wide quality process initiatives to manage and improve infrastructure performance.
- Recommends best practices and ensure adherence to the best practices
Provides training/mentoring/educating of team members
Provides oversight and guidance in the formal test execution process
- Ensure the functional and nonfunctional requirements of the business units are met by undertaking a thorough and comprehensive review of set of tests on programming changes that are produced by development and testing staff.
- Review testing effort via Performance test plans and test cases for larger-scale projects
- Oversee the complete testing lifecycle for all applications in scope for deployments including review test plans/scenarios for new functions.
- Create and Review Performance test scripts Review test cases, scripts, plans and procedures
- Serves as an escalation point for issues involving Performance testing
- Provides daily and weekly status report that includes Performance metrics
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Systems Engineering, or experience in a systems development and/or PERFORMANCE role.
- 10+ years of experience in designing, developing Performance Test strategy using industry standard tools such as Loadrunner/StormRunner, JMETER
- Experience with cloud based performance testing tools and services
- Development skills in Java/J2EE frameworks required, 2+ years preferred.
- Experience with multiple architecture, technology testing and with complex projects.
- Strong experience in working withdevelopers, system analysts and business partners to establish response time and TPS requirements and creating tests that accurately measure against them
- Ability to give detailed analysis of client side performance of both web, COTS, Custom applications
- Must have: experience with performance diagnostics, performance architecture design, performance tuning, performance monitoring, capacity planning, and/or software development in a n-tier environment
- Experience designing discipline that resolves critical and complex application performance issues. Identifies and drives optimization changes in the application design to improve customer experience for mission/business critical IT applications
- Experience establishing Performance Planning Strategy that outlines Current Production Workload distribution, Performance Requirements and Test/Production Environment Requirements and Performance Optimization results
- Demonstrated experience in monitoring, analyzing and recommending solutions to performance problems in high-traffic, large-scale distributed systems and client-server architectures
- Very good understanding of networking and architectural frameworks and methodologies, a working knowledge of design and implementation of systems software as well as the internals of the system in order to produce the best possible system availability and performance.
- Hands on experience with various APM tools such as App Dynamics, Dynatrace, New Relic etc.
- Experienced in creating Performance Engineering strategies, assessing and defining Non-Functional Requirements, Designing Workload Model by analyzing production statistics
- Communicates effectively and has the ability to influence others
- Strong time management and organization skills
- Current with industry trends in performance and load testing tools, processes and techniques.
- Experience working in a global team in a vendor dependent model
- Rapidly absorbs complex technical and conceptual information, identifying key issues and details and presenting understandable alternatives to both technical and nontechnical individuals at all levels of the organization
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Defect management and reporting using Excel – reporting on the types of defects, the cause and the severity of the defect
- Working knowledge of MS Office Suite
- Has working knowledge of all of the following quality assurance methods: unit, integration, regression, user interface and automated testing
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organization skills, including the ability to communicate with internal and external customers at all levels
- Open-minded and approachable to ensure there is a constructive approach to problem solving. Actively explore solutions to problems – reducing barriers, costs and time
- Strong self-motivation, a dedication to building new processes and the ability and initiative to work effectively with limited guidance
- Project Management and Planning
- Manages workloads across multiple projects