Manages hourly and salary payroll processing, ensuring that payroll procedures and target dates are executed in an accurate and timely manner. Ensures that payroll processes are compliant with corporate policies and State and Federal regulatory standards. Maintains payroll components Workday (the Company's human capital management system- HCM). Leads and develops a knowledgeable payroll team to work effectively, while ensuring confidentiality, accuracy, effective controls and timeliness for payroll related documentation.Job Description:
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Directs and manages the Payroll operations team in the preparation and processing of the hourly and salaried payrolls, while coordinating the workflow through the department up through preparation and distribution of paychecks (either by check or direct deposit), tax deposits, deductions, and garnishments.
- Monitors and evaluates payroll system updates, with particular focus on system testing to ensure accurate and timely processing.
- Maintains payroll data (earnings and deduction codes) and tax data (rates and jurisdictions) in the Workday HCM.
- Serves as the Payroll subject matter expert and in the Workday HCM, including entering environment change requests and performing timely validation of test results prior to changes being put into production.
- Sets guidelines for payroll team, set payroll schedule, timelines/deadlines for HR and managers to provide information to payroll for processing; maintain continuous level of engagement between team, plant HR resources and Workday HRIS.
- Develops internal procedures and controls to ensure compliance with regulatory and corporate audit controls.
- Conducts various payroll audits to ensure accuracy and quality control; work with auditors as required
- Aids the general accounting function in reconciliation of payroll bank and general ledger accounts.
- Manages the development of the payroll team.
- This job description reflects management's assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS
Minimum level of education required
Minimum number of year(s) of experience required in addition to education plus type(s) of functional experience
- 5 years of experience processing automated payrolls, with specific experience processing payroll for a manufacturing company with 500+ employees.
- 3 years of supervisory experience.
Other required type(s) of functional experience (e.g. Production/Operations, Accounting, Forklift Operator, Inventory Control, etc.)
- Experience supervising or directing the payroll activity or function.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of Federal and state payroll tax regulations.
- Up-to-date knowledge of Federal and state wage and hour laws.
- Practical experience using a major (nationally known) time keeping, automated internal payroll processing system.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word
Other job requirements (e.g. certifications/licenses, CPG experience, work overtime/weekends, etc.)
- FPC or CPP certification strongly desired.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCES (Specialized education, specific software experience, etc.)
- Experience establishing and maintaining positive interpersonal working relationship with both internal (including management) and external contacts.
- Working knowledge of Kronos timekeeping system, and Workday payroll processes.
- Experience with multiple state and local jurisdictions.
- Ability to quickly learn and use other software applications as required.
- Experience demonstrating initiative and cooperation.
Typical number of Direct Reports
Office environment demands including frequent speaking to people in person and over the phone; writing, reading files, reports and PC screen. Occasional lifting of heavy boxes.
Typical office environment with low levels of noise and fumes, adequate lighting and comfortable temperature.
Other Job Details:
SalaryHourly Rate (if applicable):