Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. We connect users to the streaming content they love, enable content publishers to build and monetize large audiences, and provide advertisers with unique capabilities to engage consumers. Roku streaming players and Roku TV™ models are available around the world through direct retail sales and licensing arrangements with TV brands and pay TV operators.
As the Americas Payroll Manager, you will be a key member of a high-performing international and US payroll team. You will be based in San Jose, CA. The right candidate will provide strategic direction and expertise to the payroll function. The incumbent is responsible for advising all aspects of US, Canadian, and Brazil payroll, timekeeping, and related systems to ensure accurate, timely, and cost-effective delivery and reporting of all wage and tax data per federal, state, country regulations and company policies.
- Manage the Americas payroll team and promote the development of the team through effective goal setting, metrics, and engagement/development plans
- Responsible for the Canada and Brazil payroll and Month end processing.
- Manage relationships with external Payroll vendors, HRIS, and other benefit providers.
- Ensure an accurate and timely Bi-weekly payroll, including but not limited to: base pay, equity compensation, payroll taxes, statutory and supplemental benefits, etc
- Own month-end close, quarter-end and year-end processes for Americas entities including reviewing/approving journal entries, account reconciliations and accruals
- Cross-functional collaboration with business partners for process improvements and efficiencies
- Assist with driving global payroll strategy with global payroll team members to streamline processes to ensure consistency, accuracy, and best-in-class services
- Ensure all regulatory payroll filings are completed timely and accurately
- Assist with payroll development and implementation process for new countries or entities
- Partner closely with internal business partners (Employee Experience / People Ops / Finance) to provide our employees with a first-class payroll experience
- Proactively prepare relevant management reports, metrics and statistics as needed
- Stay current on regulations, benefits changes, and labor laws impacting the payroll process, and stay compliant for all payroll tax jurisdictions
- Assist in ad-hoc duties when required
We are looking for someone who:
- Expert in managing the end-to-end global and US payroll process and has a high level of understanding of general business operations and internal control concepts
- Ability to assess and provide input into the impact of a business process change
- A great communicator that can build strong working relationships with external advisors and internal teams
- Strong leadership skills, is a team player and is able to resolve conflicts
- Ability to drive projects/work independently and as part of a team
- Can effectively prioritize to meet multiple tight deadlines
- Flexible and willing to work across multiple time zones, sometimes outside of the conventional workday
- Proactively takes the initiative and makes informed decisions
- Highly analytical, accurate, and detail-oriented. Is innovative, collaborative, and is not afraid to ask questions
- Can think strategically and act operationally
- Can manage ambiguity, risk, and changing the direction of projects and strategies
- Experience with complex cross-functional payroll projects, integrations, and implementations
- Prior experience managing payroll service providers and contracts
- Extensive knowledge of payroll policies and corresponding federal, state and local regulations
- Extensive knowledge of payroll accounting, payroll processing, timekeeping, accruals, attendance management, equity compensation, payroll tax processing procedures, and government reports
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting and/or Finance preferred
- 10+ years of payroll management experience, preferably with a global public company.
- Recent experience with WFN- ADP payroll system is a must.
- Experience with Netsuite System is desired.
- Workday knowledge is also a plus
- Knowledge & understanding of international equity and mobility programs
- Experience using Excel for analyzing data, including knowledge of pivots and common functions.
- American Payroll Association (APA) and Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) preferred.
- Strong communication skills, written/verbal, and the ability to interact with employees at all levels
- Fluent in English and other languages is a strong plus
Characteristics of success at Roku
- Self-motivated individual who takes ownership
- Positive attitude
- Non political
- Results oriented
- Hands on and team oriented
- Desire to win in a highly competitive environment
- Ability to adjust plan and react as needed