The Payroll Manager has significant responsibilities which include directly managing the Payroll Analyst. In general, the Payroll Manager will lead activities that to be performed as part of the payroll lifecycle and be responsible for the GL Accounting for payroll related accounts.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manages Payroll Analyst to ensure accurate and timely processing of the bi-weekly US payroll.
- Process bi-weekly Canadian Payroll, requires knowledge of Canada related benefits and taxes.
- Prepare Journal Entries for Canada Payroll. Prepare Canada reconciliations and account analysis for payroll related GL accounts.
- Support Payroll Analyst with preparation of the US payroll processing.
- Backup support for system training to employees (i.e time and attendance, Ipay, etc.).
- Review and approve journal entries and reconciliations related to US payroll general ledger accounts.
- Provide Account Analysis for variances in the payroll related accounts.
- Review accuracy of payroll related transactions for 1,000 + employees to the payroll system including but not limited to salary changes, benefit deductions, direct deposit maintenance, terminations, wage garnishments, manual checks and the calculation of hourly timecards.
- Evaluate third party vendors for expense and service level. Make recommendations for changes if necessary.
- Create and maintain 404 Controls for payroll for payroll related areas.
- Research and implement new tax and reporting requirements.
- Plan all activities required to complete special projects and direct work of team. When necessary, identify when independent research is necessary, and perform such research. Research might include consulting published reference materials, performing self-study, calling taxing authorities, and more.
- Follow payroll procedures and adheres to payroll policies. Interprets and evaluates policies and procedures and suggests changes for improving the responsiveness, efficiency and accuracy of the department.
- Provide backup for all types of problems that might occur in conjunction with paychecks. The Payroll Manager will ensure all matters related to payroll errors are handled completely, effectively, and timely.
- Prepare, audit and distribute bi-weekly and monthly Payrollreports to management.
- Assist with stock administration transactions as required.
- Track and report Relocation reimbursements
- Work with FP&A to forecast 401K match, FICA rates, and other fringe related expenses as needed.
- Ensures the effective fulfillment of objectives and deadlines assigned to the group.
- Comply with all safety policies, practices and procedures. Report all unsafe activities to supervisor and/or Human Resources.
- Participate in proactive team efforts to achieve departmental and company goals.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Strong organization, analytical, interpersonal, and oral and written communications skills.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent
- A minimum of seven years processing multi-state payroll for non-exempt and exempt employees. A minimum of 5 years managing payroll staff.
- CPP preferred.