As a key member of the Packaging Technology team, the Manager will focus on leading packaging innovation as well as manage various commercial development projects for Maple Leaf Foods. Utilizing strong leadership skills, deep expertise in packaging technology and a passion for innovative packaging, the Manager is responsible for packaging design and development execution with a focus on Front of Funnel global technology advancements. The incumbent will provide strategic direction as it relates to emerging packaging technologies that align with -and help accelerate- Maple Leaf Foods global growth initiatives. The capability to support cross-functional project teams in identifying and implementing innovative packaging designs and processes as well as the ability to leverage strategic partnerships to identify new spaces for exploration will be critical to success.
• Responsible for proactively driving Front of Funnel innovation development efforts, creating a holistic approach to packaging design that connects to our consumer and enables competitive advantage.
• Maintain knowledge of current packaging innovation and latest technology globally
• Manage New Product/New Project activity by Plant/Brand
• Ideation and oversight of design and development of new products through the packaging development process.
• Plan innovation projects to integrate the newest technologies in both package performance and consumer led innovation
• Identify and demonstrate proof of principle of innovative packaging and packaging equipment. Gather and translate insights into potential strategic packaging opportunities.
• Leverage insights to determine occasion based packaging needs and develop functional attributes enhance consumer experience.
• Leverage external network to support Open Innovation in technology scouting for novel applications and opportunities. Identify strategic packaging technology suppliers, ensure partnerships are developed and supplier innovation activities are aligned with company innovation needs.
• Drive innovation by presenting new packaging concepts and technologies to support Marketing, Product Development and processing ideas. Partner with Marketing to deliver on Innovation & Renovation objectives
• Develops, tests, reviews and recommends proposals for packaging/equipment designs by translating needs of business into work plans, anticipating risks and incorporating mitigation strategies, and developing succinct communications for senior leaders.
• Working with Procurement, Brand, and Site Operations, ensure the accurate and timely development of all packaging standards, specifications and procedures.
• Ensure the accurate and timely publication, communication and retention of all documentation related to packaging specifications and procedures through our Systems.
• During development with our partners and stakeholders, ensure that packaging components meet or exceed our quality and efficiency standards.
• Working with Quality troubleshoot and make sound technical recommendations for existing quality issues.
• Lead Value Engineering Initiatives for Packaging at Specific Sites
• Ensure all new suppliers meet qualification standards established by Operations.
• Work with packaging suppliers, provide technical assistance and knowledge during implementation of packaging components based on our quality and efficiency standards.
• Aid in design and development of new-to-world equipment architectures for new products using creative technical solutions for materials and novel manufacturing techniques (with Engineering team). Provide technical analyses, develop alternatives (cost estimates, feasibility, specifications and interpretation of requirements)
• Ensure all projects are completed on time and meet the intended packaging design, quality, cost, functionality, reliability and manufacturability objectives.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & COMPETENCY REQUIREMENTS:
• Degree in Engineering (Packaging, Chemical or Mechanical)
• Minimum 5-8 years’ experience in Food packaging or any consumer goods development technology.
• Strong understanding of packaging components, supplier processes, manufacturing processes, and Engineering Change Order (ECO) principals.
• Able to identify and analyze problems, recommending and implementing flexible and creative solutions based on customer need.
• Strong demonstrated team leadership skills, focusing on creating and embracing change Mastery of CAD, CAPE or TOPS, Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft office (Excel, WORD, and PowerPoint), and understanding of Database concepts.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively organize and manage multiple tasks as projects, ensuring completion to meet deadlines.
• Excellent written communications skills, with the ability to document system procedures in an understandable format.
• Robust communication and influencing skills • Proven people and project management skills. Demonstrated leadership in establishing great functional rapport with Marketing, Product Development, Purchasing, Engineering and Manufacturing teams.
• Possess excellent technical competence in food packaging systems with comprehensive knowledge of packaging materials (primary, secondary and tertiary), high speed packaging systems, food process engineering, continuous improvement tools and best management practices in automated manufacturing environment.
• Demonstrated ability to deliver results by working autonomously with minimal supervision.
• Proven ability to bring new, unsolicited innovative ideas forward. • Skillful at effectively leveraging internal and external resources to drive projects, develop sustainable packaging and ensure flawless execution for the organization.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office, SAP, AutoCAD and MS project.
• Ability and willingness to travel 25% of the time.
Reference No.: 10992409