Job Summary and Mission
This position contributes to Starbucks success by managing and maintaining the platform and capabilities that support core integration services and applications. This role would lead a team that defines and automates processes that make operating large scale distributed systems simple and easy to operate. This position will own the expanding role of an offshore 1st level platform support team with the goal of allowing onshore engineers to focus on deeper technical support when needed. In addition, this position would work closely with engineering and infrastructure teams to coordinate upgrades, patching, scaling and troubleshooting to ensure platform is kept up-to-date and meets the needs of the business. This role requires managerial experience, technical expertise, and leadership. Summary of Key Responsibilities
- Leadership– Setting goals for thework group, developing organizational capability, and modeling how teams cam work best together.
- Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the team promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
- Accountable for the operational efforts of the team by ensuring efforts are staffed, structured, and prioritized appropriately.
- Provides technical leadership to the team, and sponsors opportunities for innovation around operational excellence.
- Planning and Execution– Developing strategic and operational plans for thework group, managing execution, and measuring results.
- Prepares, communicates, and educates client groups and teams on changes in policies and practices within the organization.
- Collaborates effectively in planning, decomposing, estimating, scheduling, prioritization, and resource allocation exercises.
- Technical Design and Implementation– Provide technical expertise and executing technicalresponsibilities.
- Leads and influences teams in exploratory efforts with new technologies and solutions that are relevant to the organization.
- Grows and improves platform offering and coverage for continuous build and integration testing.
- Platform Stewardship– Championing platform efforts to promote platform evolvement and stability to support business needs.
- Identifies, influences, sells, and prioritizes operational platform opportunities as well as managing technical debt with regular reviews. Creating programs and solutions to raise the level of the platform offering or remediate systemic operational problems.
- Partners with cross functional teams, such as Infrastructure, Security, Architecture, and QA to strengthen and elevate the platform from a technology perspective.
- Production Support for application and platform components
- Defines and maintains processes, procedures, and expectations for team’s production support responsibilities.
- Ensures platform application and platform support documentation is in place.
- Identifies and leverages operational metrics, instrumentation, and Key Performance Indicators to measure, monitor, and manage the platform performance and uptime.
- Leads team through high severity operational incidents.
Summary of Experience
- 8-10 years of professional industry experience with software development and operations.
- 5 years of managing systems of all sizes and complexities, including large systems.
- 3-5 years of leading or managing small technical teams with operational responsibilities
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to build cross functional relationships.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong project management skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced and changing environment
- Familiarity with Linux; and with scriptinglanguages and tools used in monitoring systems
- Familiarity with Java based systems, XML/XSLT, EDI and RESTful services.