We are looking for a talented on Manager of Technology - Lead Management who will focus on building responsive sites using the latest technology stack. This candidate will lead multiple teams of both frontend and backend developers to ensure our sites are performing and have high SEO value.
This position reports to the VP of Technology. You will use your technology skills to identify latest technologies, architectural and design patterns to be implemented. You will provide architectural direction to the team of engineers building systems.
If you are hired to work in or travel to the NYC Office, you will be required to provide proof that you have received the COVID-19 vaccine.
Who you are
The ideal candidate is a hands-on and outcome-oriented technology leader with extensive experience designing, building, and supporting modern web services.
What you will do
- Partner with content/editorial teams to understand the requirements required to build a world-class web application.
- Partner with other tech leads and senior engineers across multiple teams and orgs to gather system requirements, gut check new feature proposals, and drive large system improvements.
- Provide the team the tools, confidence, and motivation to make decisions independently that lead to their personal and professional success.
- Responsible for the group's technical strategy and roadmap - creating success metrics in close collaboration with other Engineering and Product Managers.
- Experiment with new technologies, and conduct proof of concept which then is presented to tech peers and the CTO.
- Mentor the professional development of each Engineer by helping them build and execute personal development plans that map to our organization goals. Aggressively recruit and hire talented Engineers.
- Candidates should expect to spend 50% of their time coding and 50% of their time leading a team of software engineers.
Required Skills and Competencies
- 5+ years of technology experience in developing and supporting high traffic websites.
- Developing modern websites and services using React and Next.js
- Strong experience in design and development of API including REST and GraphQL
- Experience in implementing a component library using StoryBook.js
- Strong understanding of AWS Services, Docker Containers, and CI/CD
- Experience with database technologies like: MySQL / PostgreSQL / MongoDB / Elasticsearch
- Experience leading teams of software developers that have built enterprise and consumer grade web apps.
- Hands on experience in architecting and using industry leading frameworks and design patterns.
- Expertise in Advertising and Analytics integrations.
- Ability to work with product development teams that include product manager, designers, user experience professionals, developers, QA, and editorial/content production staff.
- Experience practicing contemporary software development methodologies: Agile, Scrum, XP, etc. with a clear focus on app security, performance & maintainability.
- Strong organizational and communication skills with experience of developing & instilling a culture of broad product ownership.
- Education - Bachelor Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent experience.
- Open to travel