Manager of Risk and Insurance
11 - 15 years experience • Professional, Scientific & Technical Services
The Manager of Risk and Insurance is responsible for assisting with comprehensive corporate risk management, management of corporate and project-specific insurance programs (including workers compensation) and coordination and management of claims with insurance providers. Specific responsibilities include assisting in the purchase of appropriate insurance products and programs, management of claims and loss control activities (including workers compensation), management of relationships with third-party service providers including brokers, insurers, sureties/bonding companies and other TPAs, preparing loss analyses and budgets, identifying exposures, recommending solutions, implementing approved programs, promoting loss prevention, updating and monitoring compliance with insurance procedures and involvement with risk management processes and procedures.
Coordinates closely with operations/project management, safety, human resources, legal and preconstruction services while implementing risk management policies and procedures and managing available insurance coverage to protect company's assets and minimize liability exposures.
Reporting Structure: Operationally reports to the Chief Financial Officer; reports findings on risk exposures to senior executives and/or the organization's board of directors and implements strategies to manage insurable risks.
1. Manage day-to-day interaction between all project participants, brokers and insurers related to risk management and insurance issues.
2. Manage all aspects of contract review as relates to insurance and bond issues, including coordination of contract review with the Legal Department.
3. Analyze and understand insurable risks and potential risk mitigation opportunities; interact with operational groups to ensure coordination between project activities, exposures, and appropriate insurance coverage.
4. Review, initiate and direct the appropriate insurance coverage and pricing for all new bids and projects.
5. Work with client/owner insurance representatives to ensure proper placement and coordination of any project specific insurance policies.
6. Manage insurance programs, including General Liability, Professional Liability, Pollution Liability, Workers Compensation and Master Builders Risk program, including providing information to the brokers for pricing, reporting any claims that arise and working with the project teams to compile the appropriate documentation to supportclaims.
7. Review and analyze terms and conditions associated with proposed Controlled Insurance Programs (OCIPs and CCIPs); function as liaison between all participants.
8. Maintain knowledge of trends in construction insurance industry, including thorough working knowledge of insurance products, coverage and pricing.
9. Assist with compilation and development of data for annual renewal of corporate property and casualty insurance program, including management of brokers, approval of submissions, and negotiation of terms and premiums.
10. Provide periodic training to our operating groups to enhance their understanding of the different insurance coverages and requirements
Minimum Job Requirements
1. Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or related field.
2. A minimum of ten years of Insurance, Risk Management, and Construction Industry Experience required.
3. Excellent analytical, organizational, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
4. Effective time management skills.
5. Proficient use of all Microsoft Office Suite programs
Note: Job Description is subject to change at any time and may include other duties as assigned.
1. Will sit, stand, or walk short distances for up to the entire duration of a shift/work day
2. May stoop, kneel, or bend, on an occasional basis
3. Will lift, push or pull objects on an occasional basis
4. Required to use hands to grasp, lift, handle, carry or feel objects on a frequent basis
5. Must be able to comply with all safety standards and procedures
6. Will interact with people and technology frequently during a shift/work day
7. Will use telephone, computer system, email, and other electronic devices on a frequent basis to communicate with internal and external customers or vendors