The Research Finance Operations (RFO) department is seeking a Manager of Research Finance and Operations (Deputy Director of Operations) to oversee the daily financial and operational activities of the National Defense Research Institute (NDRI) FFRDC, including day-to-day interactions with NDRI’s sponsoring office, research project and overhead budgeting, tracking and monitoring of unit financial data, research project administration and providing support and guidance for the internal and external clients of the research unit. Reporting to the Director of Operations for the National Security Research Division (NSRD), this position also participates in the annual NSRD business planning process and assists the Vice President of RAND NSRD and the four NSRD center management teams in support of the National Defense Research Institute.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Function as the lead financial and operational point of contact for NDRI; e.g., participating in NSRD management meetings, preparing NDRI annual business plantemplate and midyear update, providing data as needed
- Function as the lead for NDRI financial activities; e.g., project description and awarded project financial management, unit financialreporting, discretionary account management and policy implementation. Oversee team of staff engaged in daily financial activities for the division.
- Serve as the primary day-to-day interface between RAND and the Department of Defense (DoD) staff responsible for the development, funding and modification of NDRI project descriptions. Work with the NDRI Contract Officer Representative (COR) and Contracting Officer (CO) to facilitate contract MODs throughout the fiscal year.
- Oversee division-wide processes and the staff who implement them, to ensure that NDRI projects comply with all regulatory requirements, to include Human Subjects, licenses, conflict of interest and security review.
- Serve as the NDRI point of contact and liaison for addressing financial issues and interacting with RAND support departments; e.g., Contracts & Grants, Finance, Accounting
- Oversee the sponsor evaluation process for NDRI research projects, the development of the annual NDRI project report and the annual report on non-FFRDC research conducted at RAND, as specified in the NDRI contract.
- Supervise staff, conduct performance appraisals, assist with meeting staffing needs including hiring, training and ongoing coaching.
- Provide back up and support to the Deputy Director of Operations for non-NDRI as needed.
- Experience working with contracts and/or grants
- Experience working with Corporate Finance professionals
- Knowledge of federal contracts and FAR (Federal Acquisition Regulations)
- Ability to work with external sponsors to solve problems
- Ability to maintain sensitive and confidential information
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook;
- Ability to oversee, advise and mentor staff
- Thorough knowledge of RAND business policies, procedures and practices
- Detailed understanding of regulatory requirements
- Preferredexperience in Business Objects
- Bachelors degree in a related field is required
- MBA or Masters degree in a related field is preferred.
- Minimum 6 years of experiencerequired
- Minimum 3 years of experience in a leadership role
This position requires the ability to obtain a security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
This position could be located at the Pittsburgh, Washington DC, or Santa Monica office with a preference for an east coast location.