The Sr. Manager, Regulatory Affairs assists in interdepartmental resource allocation to support multiple categories within the Food division. The incumbent oversees the Regulatory team responsible for the execution of a broad range of product compliance initiatives, inclusive of ensuring adherence to all required technical label elements with pertinent federal, state and local laws/regulations in the US and Canada.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages North American Food Regulatory Affairs Team and provides guidance, training and direction to members of the regulatory team. Drives development of team goals / OGSMs, while ensuring individuals have personal development plans.
- Utilizes multiple regulatory databases to ensure the stringent accuracy and compliance of label data for assigned products, including the development of Nutrition Facts, Supplement Facts, Ingredient Lines, Allergy disclaimers, Dietary/health claims, Efficacy claims, Nutrient Content Claims, etc.
- Collaborates with Regulatory Certifications Team and other business team members at the category level to support policies, programs, and certifications, including NOP Organic, GFCO, Non-GMO Project, Kosher, and FairTrade
- Engages with external trade associations and other health professional organizations regarding regulatory and legislative issues impacting the Company or industry at large.
- Partners with Marketing, R&D and Quality/Food Safety to:
- Verify net contents statement and slack fill requirements per FPLA
- Review product and packaging accuracy of consumer safety information, such as storage/temperature requirements, choking hazards, and expiration/best by dates.
- Collaborates with Marketing and R&D on New Product Development commercialization process to document and provide input on product benefits for achieving compliance and competitive advantage.
- Updates and manages regulated domestic/international technical product information within internal PLM database, including formula and ingredient approvals
- Reviews final packaging artwork and advertising to ensure regulatory compliance
- Assists Consumer Response personnel in responding to consumer and customer inquiries.
- Corresponds with Marketing on package change notification for updating product reformulations.
- Acts as a backup for the regulatory team and assists with other projects, as directed.
- Minimum seven years’ experience in a technical function, preferably in regulatory compliance in the food & beverage industry.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Advanced knowledge of FDA and USDA regulations, including National Organic Program.
- Experience with Food GMP’s, SOP’s, HACCP/Food Safety, and Environmental guidelines.
- Export experience is a plus.
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to prioritize multiple priorities and strong attention to detail.
- Computer skills including MS Office programs such as Outlook, Word, Excel PowerPoint.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate (verbal/writing) effectively.
- Self-motivated and strong analytical / problem solving skills.
- Ability to collaborate at all levels of the organization and across other functional areas.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Preferred knowledge of the Consumer Product Goods Industry.
- Work with minimal supervision execute for results in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to empower, motivate and inspire staff.
- Previous supervisory experience a plus.
- Ability to lead change and execute on strategic decisions.
- Conflict resolution skills