As a Manager of Project Managers, you will be responsible to oversee a team of Project Managers. You will also collaborate with business and technology teams across Amazon and Zappos to plan, execute, and finalize all aspects of a given project. The ideal candidate will be able to manage multiple projects and priorities in an ever-changing environment. Oh, and you have to have fun doing it!
Considering the nature of what we do, our TPMs are heavy on the T (technical). We are looking for individuals who are not only passionate about creating organization from chaos and ambiguity but who are also addicted to the technical components that comprise a solution and how they interact with one another. We strive to bring as much to our project teams as possible and that includes a working understanding of the technologies that we use to innovate. In other words, let us know about your technical chops. We'll be asking :)
What you’ll be doing:
- Plan and facilitate meetings with relevant teams at Amazon & Zappos.
- Present documentation and ideas to project teams.
- Self-manage the following: Scope and change requests, schedule and deliverables, communication planning, risk and issue management, contingency planning, resource appropriation, prioritizing tasks with the team & conflicts.
- Follow appropriate Zappos project management processes (SDLC, SOX, PCI, etc).
- Develop deep business understanding and process knowledge in conjunction with projects managed.
- Develop a deep understanding of company goals and strategies.
- Help drive the plans for the successful outcome of company goals and strategies.
- Partner closely with CTO, COO & Sr. Leadership within Zappos.
- Mentor TPMs in all aspects of project management.
- Drive and shape Zappos project management methodologies.
- Natural ability to seek, form, and drive process improvements across technical and business teams.
- Team Leadership. (think: mentoring...not people managing).
- Full/part life cycle project management.
- Adapt project methodology based on project conditions and circumstances.
- Tailor documentation and communication to tech and business management.
- Develop and track project schedules and action items.
- Effective communication of project status, outstanding risks and issues, and key changes in scope or schedule.
- Identify risks and recommend mitigation approaches and identify issues while managing effective outcomes.
- Create and maintain project information (risks, issues, resources, schedules, tasks, budgets).
- Identify business and technical impacts of user requirements.
- Be ready to roll up your sleeves and get into the details.
- Not afraid to wear multiple hats.
- Manage more than one project of Lead TPM complexity.
What you’ll bring to the table:
- Passionate about Customer Service—this is first on the list for a reason!
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, MIS, or engineering
- 5+ years of experience as a Lead Technical Project Manager
- Comfortable writing & reviewing code alongside developers and TPM's within Zappos and Amazon. We will be testing you on this! ;)
- Ability to manage concurrent projects in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment.
- Excellent organizational, presentation, analytical, written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong project estimation and resource management skills.
- Proficient use in tools of the trade (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Project, Omni-Graffle, Visio).
What you didn’t know about the team:
Well, you’ll be working with all of Zappos Tech, so there are a TON of fun facts! This team loves team building that includes being outdoors, craft beer, bbq’ing + lawn games and the occasional highly competitive sport of go-cart racing.