- Ciena may well be the most important technology company you’ve never heard of. The innovations that wow us (driverless cars), and those we now take for granted (the ability to mobile-stream your favorite show) are the products of ingenuity from some brilliant and forward-thinking companies. But those companies rely on Ciena, another vanguard of innovation, to create and advance the underlying networks that bring their breakthroughs to our doorsteps. VR, AI, IOT, 5G … literally none of it would be possible without the mind-boggling technology that makes the internet itself work. For more than 25 years, Ciena has been the global leader in networking strategy, and our technology has been part of the critical infrastructure running within the most advanced companies in the world.
- “For more than 25 years, Ciena has been a global leader in networking strategy. Our technology is part of the critical infrastructure that enables innovations that wow us - like autonomous driving, and those we take for granted - like mobile-streaming video. These advancements in technology are possible because of the pioneering approach at Ciena. We are at the forefront of cutting-edge technology that makes the internet itself work. We build adaptive networks that grow smarter, more agile, and more responsive every day – much like Ciena itself”
- The Manager of Platform OS Software for Packet Networking will manage a team of engineers developing platform dependent software for Ciena’s next generation network operating system for Packet Networking leaf/spine and virtualized edge products. In collaboration with the platform independent common operating system organization, and the leaf/spine and virtualized edge platform hardware organization, own the platform dependent OS software releases for leaf/spine and virtualized edge portfolio.
- Responsibilities include all platform dependent OS software ranging from: merchant silicon software development kits; hardware abstraction layer; resource management; physical equipment management of system resources and health; hot-swap platform subsystems; pluggable optics ranging from grey, to coherent, to special purpose; platform trusted root security; platform independent common network OS port; continuous integration of platform software releases; unit test and sanity test of platform software releases.
- Furthermore, work in collaboration with common OS organization to support the incorporation and validation of future generations of technologies into the platform independent software. Partner with leaf/spine and virtualized edge platform Product Line Management on platform strategic priorities, platform roadmaps, and supporting customer engagements. Lead, inspire and mentor a world-class platform software organization. Ensure product and technology decisions and roadmaps are fully aligned with, and support, the Ciena vision, strategy, and business operating plan.
- Build, organize, drive, measure a world-class, networking-savvy, platform software development team
- Ensure the successful definition, architecture, design, implementation, and timely quality delivery of Packet Networking platform products
- Leveraging Agile scrum and DevOps processes, drive innovation, rapid prototyping, early phase deliveries, and general availability versions of differentiated, leading-edge platform products against challenging timelines with concurrent hardware and software new product development
- Drive timely and balanced decisions regarding use of commercial software, partner software, open source software, in-house development, and outsource development partners; ensure appropriate community engagement models when leveraging open source
- Actively participate and contribute in Packet Networking leadership and decisions as a member of the Packet Networking platform leadership team
- Collaborate across the entire Ciena software technology leadership community to ensure appropriate overall software product portfolio rationalization, interoperability, and reuse
- BSEE/BSCS Degree
- Minimum 10 years of software engineering experience with at least 3+ years in engineering management
- Extensive knowledge of systems, Linux, Network OS, Ethernet, and IP technologies
- Strong executive leadership skills and presence
- Outstanding communication, presentation and influencing skills
- Track record of cross-functional collaboration to achieve business objectives
- Technologies: SDN/NFV, IP, MPLS/SR, L2VPN/EVPN, L3VPN, multicast, Carrier Ethernet and associated L2 and L3 OAM/SAT, packet timing/GNSS
- Proven experience successfully organizing and leading software product development organizations
- Demonstrated success leading complex software products through the full product Life Cycle (definition, development, delivery, maintenance, end-of-life)
- Proven experience delivering complex software products to the Service Provider and/or large Enterprise marketplaces
- Self-starter, highly organized, effective at dealing with ambiguity and change, creative
- World class leader who can motivate teams in challenging and complex times
- Collaborative, team-player, but also not afraid to take a stand and debate options unemotionally
- Ciena is a network strategy and technology company with a passion to provide an experience, to you and our customers that is as rewarding as the outcome. We attract the best and brightest– those with outstanding talent, motivation, and the right attitude to contribute to our success. Our vibrant culture balances our openness and informality with professionalism and trust and is built on the foundation of our core values: Customer First, Integrity, Velocity, Innovation, and Outstanding People. With almost 30 years of industry leadership, 6,000+ specialists around the globe, and clients in more than 30 countries, we support more than 1,500 of the world’s largest, most agile networks.
Your Life @ Ciena
- Ciena enables everyone to have a voice and a network that supports them while on the journey to discovering their passion and purpose. We trust every individual to do what they can to reach their full potential and make an impact on the business, whenever, wherever they are in the world. With Ciena’s highly innovative, forward-thinking business practices, we reward people for pushing the boundaries. Unlock your potential at Ciena!
Belong @ Ciena
- Ciena is committed to creating a diverse workplace and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, or age. Ciena is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status. We want Ciena to be a place where you feel you can belong.
Rewarding experience. Meaningful outcomes.
- Making a difference in people's lives through design and implementation of leading network technologies. That's what motivates us.
A distinct way to work
- Free thinking, free discussion, and collaboration are the norm. Expect more satisfying outcomes - both personal and professional.
- Ciena values the diversity of our workforce and respects its employees as individuals, regardless of race, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, gender or age.
- Ciena is also committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, you should advise Ciena in a timely fashion of the specific needs / accommodation measures which must be taken to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to any specific needs / accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
What you can expect from us
- You will receive notification of your successful application
- Successful applicants will be contacted by Talent Acquisition for an initial discussion
- If suitable you will be considered for the short list and our formal interview process