Manager of Payroll and Tax
CLIENT: A $9B , 2,000 employee , Award Winning , Banking Institution located in 12 states in the Mid-West, South-West, and West-Coast.
LOCATION: Dubuque, Iowa
TITLE: Payroll and Tax Manager
DEPARTMENT: Human Resources
REPORTS TO: HR Operations Director
OFFICER LEVEL: Yes
I. POSITION SUMMARY: The Payroll and Tax Manager is a hands-on supervisor responsible for managing the preparation of the organization’s multi-state payroll ensuring accuracy within requireddeadlines. This includes oversight of the payroll processing, time/attendance systems and payrolltax standards and the company’s adherence to all payroll related federal, state, local and other applicable taxlaws and procedures. Serves as the primary liaison between the HR, Finance and stock administration departments. Acts as champion of change management as the organization implements new technologies to provide the best payroll processing solutions for a growing company.
II. PRIMARY & ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Plans, organizes, directs, manages and supervises the preparation and processing of payroll, oversees the analysis and reconciliation of payroll accounts; and reviews and ensures the proper preparation of payrollreports and transaction documents.
2. Manages relationships with third party vendors for payroll administration (e.g. payroll processing, tax services, employment verification, etc.).
3. Serves as the Company’s subject matter expert on all payroll related tax issues partnering with HR/Legal/Benefits/Compensation/Finance as needed
4. Multi-state payroll processing experience, with heavy emphases on federal, state and other jurisdiction tax and labor law compliance.
5. Coordinates initial registration or modifications to registration in new employment tax localities or the IRS.
6. Manages the payroll administration, garnishments, deductions and taxes in multiple states for both bi-weekly and semi-monthly payrolls for approximately 2,000 employees.
7. Determine payroll liabilities by approving the calculation of employee federal and state income and social securitytaxes, and employer’s social security, unemployment, and workers compensation payments.
8. Analyzes the efficiency of payroll operations and implements documentation and procedures to improve the timeliness and accuracy of payroll functions; monitors and reviews completed payroll work and insures the accuracy of records and reports prepared by payroll team members.
9. Develop and execute vision for future-state processes and systems, including project plans, monitoring and reporting of process improvement initiatives.
10. Ensures the processing of new hires, transfers, promotions and terminations are accurate and timely. Ensures pay adjustments, incentive payments and othercompensation payments are properly processed.
11. Ensures the smooth transition of employees from merger and acquisition activities and ensures proper and timely payment of retention bonus and severance payments.
12. Complies with regulatory standards and establishes procedures relative to internal/external audits.
13. Supports activities related to the HRIS system functionality, including but not limited to testing of technology updates.
14. Ensures preparation and filing of various per pay, monthly, quarterly and annual payrolltax returns/reports and provides assistance to employees and supervisors with payroll issues to include request for payroll information on a regular basis. Researches payroll issues/discrepancies and processes necessary corrections.
15. Analyzes, reconciles, prepares and signs various Federal and State reports such as quarterly reports and W-2’s; analyzes and implements pay information to ensure proper taxation and posting of wages; and reviews and ensures proper payroll deductions are administered.
16. Provide reports and information to external and internal parties, including, but not limited to Finance, Audit, or otherHR functional areas. Responds to request for information for a variety of reports and audits.
17. Develops and maintains the automated payroll and time reporting systems; managing, evaluating and developing calculation and system setup necessary to ensure accurate processing of payroll and time/attendance data.
18. Serves as a resource for the Payroll team; researches problems; answers inquiries regarding payroll transactions; and discuss payroll concerns with staff.
19. Advises managers and employees with issues regarding payroll and works withotherHR team members regarding payroll related issues.
20. Collaborates with otherHR team members (benefits, recruitment, HRIS) who have direct interaction within the payroll processing cycle.
21. Maintains employee confidence and protects payroll operations by keeping information confidential.
22. Remains current on all personnel policies, programs and practices and stays informed of new and pending laws and regulations. Ensures compliance with federal and state laws, including reporting requirements.
23. Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending education workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and participating in professional societies.
24. Completes annual E-Learning Plan and Bank Secrecy Act (BSA) training as assigned and keeps up-to-date knowledge of BSA as it relates to the job function.
25. Performs other duties as assigned.
III: SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: This position does have supervisory responsibilities.
1. Directly supervises the Payroll team of four or more employees.
2. Sets work priorities and schedules work assignments for payroll team members.
3. Works with Heartland Financial’s Talent Acquisiton team to hire the most qualified and talented individuals to fill open positions.
4. Provides information and on-going feedback to department staff regarding expectations and performance.
5. Addresses and resolves all performance concerns and issues in a timely manner.
6. Works with department staff on individual professional development.
7. Prepares and conducts annual performance reviews. Completes and submits all forms associated with the review process to the department according to the review process deadline
IV: REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources, Finance, Business Administration, or related field required.
Master’s Degree in Business, Finance, or Accounting a plus.
REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
1. 7-10years of payrollexperience, including four (4) years’ experience leading the payroll function for a similar sized and structured organization.
2. Multi-state payrolltaxexperience. Ability to prepare financial analysis a plus.
3. Strong payrolltax and finance knowledge and experience.
4. Knowledge of the MS Office suite required.
5. Experience overseeing payroll within an integrated unified HRIS required. Experience using Workday is strongly preferred.
6. Expert knowledge of current State and Federal compensation and benefit rules and regulations. Skill in writing concise, logical, analytical reports and notes.
7. Ability to deal with others in a calm and composed manner, especially while under pressure.
8. Ability to handle sensitive and confidential situations while maintaining a high level of confidentiality.
9. Ability to provide exceptional customer service to ensure high customer satisfaction.
10. Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks and projects concurrently.
11. Ability to work with a sense of urgency to meet deadlines.
12. Strong analytical and mathematical abilities.
1. CPP or CPA designation preferred
V. PERSONAL SUITABILITY & COMPETENCIES:
Communication – Communicates well both verbally and in writing, creates accurate and punctual reports, delivers presentations, shares information and ideas with others, has good listening skills.
Customer Focus – Builds customer confidence, is committed to increasing customer satisfaction, sets achievable customer expectations, assumes responsibility for solving customer problems, ensures commitments to customers are met, solicits opinions and ideas from customers, responds to internal customers.
Integrity/Ethics – Deals with others in a straightforward and honest manner, is accountable for actions, maintains confidentiality, supports company values, and conveys good news and bad news.
Vision and Values – Supports values and daily actions and decisions, communicates vision and values to others, generates enthusiasm, incorporates vision when planning.
Customer Service – Handles customer questions and complaints, communicates with customers, handles service problems politely and efficiently, always available for customers, follows procedure to solve customer problems, understands company products and services, maintains pleasant and professional image.
CAR REQUIRED: No