Manager of Model Development - Risk Team
The Manager of Model Development is responsible for the development and maintenance of predictive scorecard models to support acquisition risk management. Core responsibilities include model design, model development, model maintenance, model updates and performance evaluations. He or she will interact with internal and external data as well as modeling vendors to seek opportunities to improve advance analytics qualities.
The role directly reports to the Head of Decision Science at Ondeck Capital. The team works closely with the Acquisitions Risk Strategy team and the Revenue team. The ideal candidate for this data science role is expected to be proficient in working with credit bureau data using analytic platforms like SAS/SQL/R/Python. The leader who fills this position will be expected to support senior management requests for enhancement in analytics for risk management. He or she will act as a control point for planning, implementing and interpreting results.
In addition to achieving these business objectives, the individual hired into this role will be responsible for establishing best practices and tools that will allow OnDeck to efficiently manage its acquisition risk.
As a Manager of Model Development at OnDeck, you will:
- Develop statistical models that aid in segmenting small business customers on the basis of financial needs, credit risk, and debt servicing ability
- Establish monitoring frameworks, statistical control processes, and early warning systems that enable OnDeck to react quickly to changing competitive environments
- Responsible for model design, development, and model implementation. Ensure that the models are maintained and updated in a timely manner and the models perform as expected
- Leverage technology-based tools to implement process improvements
- Evaluate external data and model vendors. Identify, evaluate and recommend alternatives to business solutions in order to keep Ondeck on the technology frontier
- Review and recommend alternative analytical and modeling tools to improve model quality and performance
- Maintain a high level of competency in statistical and analytical principles, tools and techniques
- Analyze competitive intelligence to identify market dynamics and changes in small business’s credit usage that may impact OnDeck’s core businesses
Necessary qualifications for success:
- Bachelor’s degree in an analytic field
- 4-6 years of related experience in a predictive modeling role for a consumer lender or other retailfinancial services company
- Strong project management skills, as demonstrated by a history of taking on increasing responsibility
- Familiarity with data structures and data manipulation processes
- Strong Analytical and Problem Solving Skills as demonstrated by previous experience in developing creative solutions to business strategy, technological, and operational problems
- Extensive project management and leadership skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Desire to help small businesses by eliminating inefficiencies and excessive costs in the lending business
- Comfort in a highly visible role that is a key contributor to OnDeck’s continued success