Our vision at Petco is Healthier Pets. Happier People. Better World. We're making things better for pets, people and the planet through our Think Adoption First philosophy, the Petco Foundation and other important initiatives that focus on putting animals first, educating pet parents and reducing our carbon footprint. The journey starts withknowledgeable, passionately engaged associates who are proud to recommend Petco as a place to work, who believe in our Vision and who are committed to delivering a superior customer experience.
From our retail stores and our network of Distribution Centers to our Corporate offices, you'll work with others who share your values and commitment. We seek individuals who are passionate about animal welfare, have great people skills and are driven to grow and advance in their careers with us. Our ongoing growth is creating exceptional opportunities for professional development and personal enrichment throughout our organization.
The Manager of Inventory will be in our San Diego, CA office, and will be responsible for leading a team of analysts in the planning and execution of financial and inventory goals by ensuring consistency in processes and the application of best practices. The Manager will align inventory strategies and execution to support the Sales, Margin, In-stock, Inventory Turnover and Inventory Management Return on Investment (IMROI) goals throughout the supply chain. Serves as the operations manager for a group and is primarily responsible for partnering with the merchant and planning teams to develop viable plans and achieve profitable results. With strong business acumen, the individual will make sound recommendations and provide clear visibility to risks and opportunities within the business.
Essential Job Functions:
The incumbent must be able to perform all of the following duties and responsibilities with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Be an Inventory Management Business Partner through knowledge of current and future trends in the business/industry and be able to create innovative and efficient solutions to business opportunities and risks.
- Oversee Open-to-Buy for shop(s) to ensure achievement of sales, margin, inventory turn, IMROI, in stock, and fill rate goals.
- Oversee the gathering of data, analyzing information, developing and communicating actions and recommendation through all levels of the organization.
- Partnering with merchants and planning team to identify appropriate asset allocation strategies to maximize profitability (IMROI).
- Responsible for daily/weekly review of financial performance and provides insights and action plans for all gaps toplan.
- Oversee the gathering of data, analyzing information, developing and communicating conclusions and recommendation to improve supply chain efficiencies.
- Managing the planning, forecasting and execution of inventory strategies that support Distribution Center and Store Unit Demand and In-Stocks
- Drive the evaluation and recommended assortment and secondary planning activities for each category/location toachieve optimum financial results for the company.
- Identify and address root causes for all unproductive inventories including the development, recommendation and execution of exit strategies to maximize profitability
- Collaborate with merchandising partners and vendors to facilitate timely and accurate demand forecast to supportin-stock objectives including on-going review of results and process for improvement.
- Partner with the broader merchant team on pricing, presentation, promotion necessary to properly forecast and purchase appropriate inventory levels by item.
- In partnership with Logistics, effectively manage the flow of product throughout the network ensuring appropriate distribution strategies/channels are utilized to support the most cost effective methods to achieve in stock, inventory, and logistics goals.
Partnership & Leadership
- Manage a team of Inventory Analyst and Demand Analysts in a collaborative, innovative and results-oriented environment.
- Interact professionally and effectively through excellent written and oral communication skills to all levels of the organization including Senior Level Management
- Partner with suppliers to improve end-to-end supply chain efficiency and performance
- Foster a collaborative work environment that leverages each member's core strengths and ensures a synergistic approach to achieving goals.
- Demonstrate strong management and leadership skills
- Demonstrate initiative to work independently and in cross functional teams including merchandising, private brand/sourcing, logistics, pricing, marketing, space planning, and vendor compliance.
- Ability to think strategically and effectively implement tactical elements to ensure goals are met.
- Ability to ruthlessly prioritize and multi-task under tight deadlines
- Drive business processes as the subject matter expert to drive improved capabilities and in-stock.
- Recruit, develop and retain high competency staff with the skill set necessary to meet Company, Department and Merchandise objectives.
- Create and drive individual and team development plans with appropriate rewards and recognition.
- Serve as an effective advocate for change and growth.
- Coach and mentor staff to achieve individual career objectives.
- Actively participate in organizational review and develop succession plans by identifying and developing bench strength.
- Ensure teams are following consistent processes, utilizing the systems effectively, and attending the training required to ensure the individuals possess the skills and business appropriate acumen.
Providing leadership to the inventory management functions. Regular responsibilities include recruiting, interviewing, hiring, training, mentoring/coaching, providing functional guidance, assignment delegation and follow-through, and, partnering with Human Resources, discipline up to and including termination. Manages 2-8 direct reports.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent in Business, Merchandising, Supply Chain, Data Analytics or a related field, and aminimum of 5 – 7 years professional relevant merchandise planning, inventory management, and supply chain experience; experience in retail inventory management is highly desired.
Additionally, a level of knowledge, skills or the ability to achieve the following is also preferred:
- Operation and optimization of forecasting and replenishment systems and related processes.
- Proven track record of improving in-stock as well as inventory productivity and overall SKU profitability
- Experience with managing to open to buy plans at the category level and creating accurate SKU forecasts.
- Experience in implementing collaborative planning, forecasting and replenishment systems with key vendors.
- Proven track record of leading teams to produce accurate forecasts and execute plans.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively across multi-functional teams.
- Strong interpersonal and judgment skills will be required to influence internal and external teams.
- Understand merchandising and operations processes and the interrelationships of vendors, merchants, marketing, space planning and field operations.