The Manager of Construction, GovCloud is a strategically significant, global role in the AWS Construction team dedicated to leading, mentoring, and coaching our team of skilled Construction Managers building data centers. You will manage a fast-moving, intelligent team of professionals and the regional construction program delivering data center capacity to support Amazon’s growth in Government regions. Our Data Center Construction team owns and drives the construction life-cycle including constructability, proposal development, bid analysis, award, on-site construction management, and turnover to Customer.
The manager will be expected to dive deep and know construction management; inspire and think big about the construction management program; and support, grow, and nurture the team delivering sophisticated electrical and mechanical systems to our Customers.
At Amazon, we are a diverse, driven, and creative team of engineers and leaders innovating and constructing data centers that are changing the landscape of data center construction for our Customers.
The Manager of Construction will be responsible for:
- Hire and develop new Construction Managers. Coach, mentor, and lead a large Construction Management team.
- Manage multiple construction builds spread across the United States and globally.
- Strategic and tactical management of construction capacity delivery within their region.
- Communicate and provide guidance to Finance during the development and execution of capital budgets.
- Interact with senior US Government officials for GovCloud data center builds, providing project status and resolving onsite issues.
- Develop and manage metrics quantifying performance within their region.
- Coordinate with stakeholders on land and facility acquisition.
- Manage the safety, cost, and quality of the data center deliverable.
In addition this individual must possess the following abilities:
- Ability to lead, motivate, and train subordinates.
- Ability and willingness to think creatively and build innovative solutions to reduce cost and duration with no impact on quality and reliability.
- Ability to perform complex business case analysis to justify the project scope and present the justification to management in a high-level review.
- Requires that the candidate selected be a U.S. citizen and obtain and maintain an active TS/SCI security clearance with polygraph.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering,
Construction Management or an equivalent engineering science OR 4+ years of related construction management experience in lieu of a degree.
- 7+ years of recent experience directly managing, mentoring, leading, and coaching construction management, engineering design, procurement, controls, and/or commissioning professionals.
- 7+ years directly managing construction of large, complex projects involving large-scale mechanical, electrical, and plumbing (MEP) plants.
- 5+ years’ experience managing US Government projects.
Amazon.com is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age
- Active TS/SCI security clearance with polygraph.
- General contractor and vendor management experience (request for proposals, bidding, change orders) associated with construction and project execution.
- Experience directly related to the design or construction of data centers.
- Knowledge and experience with large scale power systems.
- Experience with large scale computer server operations.
- Master's degree in the engineering sciences or construction management.
- Professional registration as an engineer or architect.
- Experience with fast track design/build projects and or multiple significant upgrade projects.
- Knowledge of building codes and regulations including Life Safety, BOCA, NFPA, NEC, and OSHA.
- Possess clear written and verbal communication skills and ability to use data to justify conclusions
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role.
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role.