This position takes complete ownership for the daily oversight of the administrative and clinical operations of assigned physician practice and/or program. Collaborates multiple leadership individuals and teams (physician, network and hospital) with various support departments to create a patient focused practice environment to drive progress and achieve goals in the areas of patient experience, staff and providers engagement, quality, safety, and operational performance.
The manager functions as a key liaison with physicians and staff. The manager works collaboratively with an assigned regional director and/or practice administrator to promote the productive growth and operational structure of each functional area. Supports employee growth and development and actively mentors staff and ensures a cohesive, engaged work team that includes physicians and extended care team members. The manager promotes the consistent enactment of the mission, vision, values of the Munson Healthcare system, and ensures a steady focus on the needs of patients, physicians and staff.
The manager will have budgetary responsibility and seen as a responsive and creative professional, skillful at resolving issues and making swift decisions. The manager possesses a high degree of emotional intelligence, and is an effective verbal and written communicator. The manager is a visible leader and spends the majority of their time in assigned area of responsibility where work is taking place.
At the discretion of the Practice Director and HR, the Practice Manager II is usually responsible for the day-to-day operations of less than two practice locations/service lines with six to ten providers and a number of direct reports generally greater than 11 support staff.
- A four-year degree in a health related field is preferred. In the absence of a bachelor's degree, the candidate must have a minimum of four or more years of progressively more responsible work experience and leadership in a health care setting, in an ambulatory, medical office, or outpatient environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills. Must possess the ability to work independently while maintaining a team effort.
- Knowledge of medical terminology, electronic medical records system, diagnosis and procedure coding, insurance billing, scheduling, data entry, multi-line phones.
- Experience working with an interdisciplinary team.
- The ability to facilitate the resolution of complex problems within the ambulatory physician practice and with other departments within Munson Healthcare in an effort to continuously improve the quality of ambulatory physician practices.
The position reports to the Regional Director and/or Practice Administrator. Will be responsible for supervising the work and activities of assigned physician practice and/or program. Maintains a professional working relationship with other departments, patient's families, providers, staff, and other health care professionals.
AGE OF PATIENTS SERVED:
Cares for patients in the age category(s): X No clinical contact with patients
- Manages the day-to-day aspects of assigned physician practice and/or program to include the management of staff and coordination of providers, both front desk, business transactions, clinical support services.
- Identifies, recommends, and implement process improvement opportunities (e.g., workflows, patient throughput bottlenecks) to maximize volumes, patient access, and efficiency.
- In charge of maintaining provider templates and clinical scheduling of patients. Assures appropriate slots are available for meeting patient access and provider productivity goals of various appointments, including consults and follow-ups. Adjust templates with management and faculty approval as necessary. Works with providers and various members of leadership (e.g., Regional Director and/or Practice Administrator, Manager, Health Link) to develop and implement scheduling strategies to support the attainment of network strategic goals and specific ambulatory productivity and revenue benchmarks.
- Responsible for the ongoing financial performance of assigned physician practice and/or program, develops the annual operating budget in collaboration with finance team and other network leaders, and monitors expenditures regularly to ensure departmental compliance with budget.
- Comprehends and utilize key practice performance indicators/metrics to include but not limited to the following:
- Front office revenue cycle (e.g., co-payment, outstanding past balances, user-specific registration accuracy reports, claim rejections and denials related to insurance eligibility or patient demographics);
- Practice operations and access (e.g., patient no show, provider utilization rates, panel size, next third available appointment, volume and wRVU targets, coding patterns per provider, staffing benchmarks);
- Referral Management (e.g., number of authorization denials, segmented by responsible staff, number of non-emergent appointments scheduled within payer authorization periods).
- Responsible for maximizing front-end revenue cycle operations of the practice to include scheduling, insurance verification, authorization/referrals, and POS collections.
- Collaborates with the Centralized Billing Office (CBO) to ensure that appropriate procedures are adhered to and that accurate information is being collected and submitted. Formulates action plans in collaboration with the Regional Director and/or Practice Administrator and CBO Leadership to address improvement opportunities.
- Manage the patient experience by implementing tactics to promote and maintain the best patient experience guided by evidence-based practices and data (e.g., CG-CAHPS). Responsible for maintaining patient satisfaction scores for designated area(s) at or above target consistently.
- Responsible for all HR functions of the practice including the hiring and performance management of staff. Monitors and documents the performance management/appraisal process for staff establishing work standards and expectations by providing feedback regularly. Mentors, coaches, and develops staff to accomplish goals; takes responsibility for identifying developmental needs and creating action plans to enhance growth and development of the team.
- Seizes opportunities to foster communication dialogue with providers and staff by providing practice and organizational updates in a timely manner, regular rounding, teach, continually challenge, and develop staff.
- Acts as a role model for problem solves in areas concerning patients, providers, and staff relations. Responds to all formal patient and staff complaints. Communicates appropriate issues to the Regional Director and/or Practice Administrator.
- Supports the Regional Director and/or Practice Administrator in the selection process of provider candidates and on-boarding of providers in terms of sequencing and executing tasks/actions involving support areas (e.g. Payor Credentialing Team, CBO, Medical Staff office, Telecom/IT, Ambulatory Informatics, and Marketing).
- Assures accurate timekeeping and payroll for all staff and providers.
- Assist in the coordination and/or maintaining medical provider's time off balances and CME hours.
- Recognizes and acts on opportunities for professional and personal growth and improvement. Participates in leadership development by attending Leadership programs (e.g., HEI).
- Identifies opportunities to streamline practice operations in order to gain efficiencies. Shares ideas through peer network through participation in committees, professional development opportunities or regional meetings.
- Works Regional Director and/or Practice Administrator and system leadership to evaluate and develop strategies for growth and outreach.
- Translates goals into departmental specific objectives and priorities to influence all areas of True North.
Quality, Safety and Compliance
- Ensures credentialing, licensing, and certifications for providers and staff are current. Proactively monitors compliance of all staff, including providers and clinical staff, to ensure license and certifications as well as other required annual testing is completed prior to expiration and/or deadline.
- Assures compliance with, and may provide input into the development of various policies and procedure of assigned area of responsibility and Munson Health Physician Network. Reviews and updates written policies and procedures annually or sooner if necessary.
- Ensures that practice operations and team members are knowledgeable of and in compliance with applicable regulatory, licensing and accrediting agency standards.
- Responsible for coordinating and implementing practice measures for Value Based metrics, i.e. PCMH, Meaningful Use and PQRS.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.