The Manager, Manufacturing is directly responsible for the performance of the production and manufacturing operations in a contract manufacturing/co-packing facility. Works with leadership team, staff and customers to execute operational objectives, policies and strategies as they relate to supporting the annual operating plan and strategic direction of the organization. Develops and implement continuous improvement efforts with a focus on waste reduction and increased efficiencies. Creates strategies to meet current and future customer demand by ensuring production capacity. Manages 3-4 subordinate Clerical support and Group Leaders who supervise a total of 20-25 hourly employees. Contributes as a key member of the Commercial Services management team. Demonstrates behaviors consistent with Goodwill’s Mission, Vision, Values, 5 Basic Principles and Standards of Conduct. Creates and maintains effective relationships with the EDAT team to optimize mission impact of Packaging/Assembly operations and enhance the development/training opportunities for employees.
- Develops strategies, goals and objectives (budgetary and service) for packaging and assembly area and manages the implementation of these objectives.
- Tracks, analyzes, and ensures successful business performance through customer service level attainment, KPI’s, and productivity analysis
- Along with Supervisors, prepares labor schedules, establishes priorities and coordinates manufacturing activities to ensure effective, efficient labor utilization to meet production schedules.
- Creates improvement plans and implements according to Lean Manufacturing concepts
- Manages customer requirements with team to ensure quantity and quality levels are achieved. Ensures timely delivery with correct documentation and product.
- Plans, develops, organizes and implements systems and resources needed to fulfill customer demand
- Leads the production team (Group Leaders, and Line Leads) towards the accomplishment of goals and metrics.
- Manages and coordinates knowledge within the team. Understanding of issues and implications to customers.
- Ensures appropriate facility and manufacturing environment which includes recommendation and review of capital and equipment.
- Tracks labor by customer/product vs. revenue customer/product to determine lean manufacturing implementation, time studies, re-quoting, etc.
- Ensures principles of preventative maintenance are applied for equipment and operations. Measures and monitors plant capacity and recommends areas for improvement or investment.
- Stays abreast of technical and operation developments in industry through attending association meetings, reading publications and networking.
- Reviews employee and area productivity numbers and creates plans for improvements as needed.
- Works with Vice President and Operations Financial Analyst to create business area budget.
- Reviews analyses of activities, costs, operations, and forecast data to determine progress toward stated goals and objectives.
- Confers with rest of Commercial Services leadership team to review achievements and discuss required changes in goals or objectives resulting from current status and conditions.
- Successfully achieves budgetary, productivity and customer service level goals.
- Communicates departmental vision, goals and expectations.
- Directs and coordinates activities of direct reports to further attainment of goals and objectives.
- Creates processes and systems to meet mission goals of work-based certifications and credentials for employees.
- Performs informal and formal performance reviews, offering praise for good performance and providing improvement goals and corrective actions for substandard performance through coaching, counseling and individual continual feedback.
- Motivates staff to gain and maintain their dedication to meeting individual, departmental and mission objectives.
Safety and Quality Systems Management
- Ensures communication and training of quality standards/ISO regulation to production staff and associates
- Reviews contents of reports from quality assurance program department heads and creates plans to ensure quality standards and specifications are consistently met.
- Participates in management meetings with quality assurance program department heads to establish, delineate, and review program organizational policies, to coordinate functions and operations between departments, and to establish responsibilities and procedures for attaining objectives.
- Provides proactive leadership to safety efforts and is responsible for ensuring a safe work environment for employees and visitors.
- Acts as Project Manager or project team member for new customer/product start-ups
- Participates and contributes on special projects and continuous improvement projects.
- Participates in or may lead the plant Safety Team.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) Engineering, Business or other technical degree or commensurate experience.
- Minimum 5 years management or leadership experience in a manufacturing environment
- Technical and process analysis skills
- Technical reading and comprehension skills
- Mature interpersonal relationship skills and ability to work with diverse employees
- Experience with ISO or other similar Quality Management Systems and practical understanding and experience in Lean Manufacturing systems.
- Proficient in MS Office products (Word, Excel) and Internet
- Good mathematical aptitude, abstract thinking skills
- Fundamental understanding of cost accounting and budgeting principles; experience in budgeting and cost-center management.
- Self-starter/initiator/independent worker
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Organizational team building skills
- Solid communication (oral and written) and comprehension skills
- Multi-tasking and project leadership skills